1. The Constitution of India has both colonial and nationalistic imprints. Substantiate.
1. भारत के संविधान में औपनिवेशिक और राष्ट्रवादी दोनों छाप हैं। पुष्टी करें।
- Give 2-3 lines introduction about constitution of India.
- Body should contain two parts. One for Colonial and another for nationalistic. Write preferably in points and underline keywords.
- Conclusion is must without that answer is incomplete.
The Constitution of India is an inclusive and accommodative document which includes features of Colonial, Nationalistic, liberal and post modernistic imprints to suit present and future generations.
- Nature of democracy: Parliamentary system, which was a colonial legacy, was adopted as the governance system for the independent India.
- Strong Centre: Residuary powers with Centre, emergency provisions, and lack of financial autonomy for states were all borrowed from the colonial era.
- Parliamentary provisions: Annual financial statement, ordinance making powers and certain parliamentary practices were continued from the pre-independence time.
- Non-exclusive domains of legislature, executive and judiciary: Interdependence among the three pillars was a feature of British India.
- Directive Principles of State Policy (DPSP): Adopted from the ‘Instrument of Instructions’ contained in the Government of India Act, 1935.
- Bureaucracy: Indian Civil Service which the sardar patel called as Steel frame of India.
- Fundamental rights: These were based on the Karachi resolution of Congress in 1931.
- Gandhian principles of Directive Principles of State Policy (DPSP): co-operative societies, Ban against slaughter, Women participation in public sphere.
- Economic planning: Socialist principles of congress.
- Fundamental duties: Though added later and not in original constitution.
- Preamble: Fraternity, Unity and integrity, Secularism, Socialism etc.
- Decentralization: Based on village self-governance. 73rd and 74th amendment.
- Education: In mother tongue or vernacular language.
Note: A line or two explanations is required for each point. 7-8 points depending on word limit is enough in exam.
The above features show that our constitution is blend of both colonial and nationalistic imprint. But at the same time, our founding fathers have made sure that it can be changed as per the requirements of changing times.
Best answer: El-Nino Modaki