Day 25 – Q 1.“The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions”. Comment.
1. “The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions”. Comment.
“फूलों की सुगंध केवल हवा की दिशा में फैलती है। लेकिन किसी व्यक्ति की भलाई सभी दिशाओं में फैलती है “। टिप्पणी करें।
The above statement was quoted by Chanakya, goodness of a person might be the fundamental seed of change. The statement explains “Domino effect” , the strength of good deeds, the power of influence through goodness and changing the society in a particular manner. The flower and its fragrance is an innate quality like the goodness of the individual- however while flower is static, the fragrance is spread to a particular direction only where the wind blows. However, a individual being a dynamic entity- with numerous interpersonal relationships and inter linkages – has the rationality to know where to spread his influence unlike a flower (i.e not only influencing situations that benefit him)
It must be understood that while a flower has the fragrance, individual has his goodness- While flower spreads its fragrance depending on catalyst like wind and in a particular direction, a person should need no catalyst, the influence of his goodness should be omnipresent, spreading in all directions- without it being depended on a particular factor, situational entity , personal selfish motives etc.-
Goodness is important due to following Reasons –
- To influence people, to spread love and affection all over.
- To spread the feeling of brotherhood and affinity.
- To maintain multiculturalism, respecting different cultures, avoiding value monism.
- To ensure that the message of “Goodness of an individual” spreads in times of extremely competitive world , where people constantly try to pull down each other.
The Importance of how GOODNESS – can spread irrespective of catalysts and situations can be analyzed by following examples-
- He believed that truth, beauty and justice have objective content and that we are born with an innate understanding of their existence.We should have the rational understanding to rediscover the knowledge that we already have.By spreading our goodness we can have have a moral life, that can give us happiness.He focuses that self -development, especially the pursuit of goodness, virtue, justice, integrity and friendship can give us happiness.
- MAHATMA GANDHI
- Through his idea of nonviolence , he managed to impress the world. He emphasized on love for everyone, even one’s enemies and the need to strive for justice
- He approach was guided by the following quote from Bhagavad Gita, ” On action alone be thy interest, never on its fruits, abiding in discipline to perform actions, abandoning attachments, being indifferent to success or failure”
- His ways of struggle – inspired not only the Indians but people globally. His experiments with truth actually made people understand the value of truth.
- He can be considered to be an example – spreading his goodness in all directions, due to the following lessons-
- Change yourself before you wish to change the world.
- Peace is within and not affected by outside circumstances.
- Forgiveness is the virtue of the strong and not the weak.
- Action speaks the priority.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- Though he was criticized by many conservative Hindus of his time, he had conviction on his beliefs because the truth is that – He was well ahead of times.
- His thoughts on Women education and empowerment are widely appreciated even today.
- His views of Hinduism and his organizations are even respected today
- APJ ABDUL KALAM
- Though, he was one of the most intelligent and talented souls – India has ever produced- yet even today people remember him for his goodness as individual.
- He is remembered for his affinity with the youth- and his ways of influencing them.
- He always propagated the values of honesty, self-discipline, faith in goodness, patriotism etc.
- He Propagated the following values –
- To have a vision- he says that the human spirit collapses when deprives of vision.
- To connect with people – To spread your values and morals by talking to people, influencing them and Spreading goodness.
- To be humble
Not, only the big names- but so many Bureaucrats have spread their goodness – but having a good intention to serve the country without ill will and selfish motives, they lead by example and completely change the work culture and working environment in the place where they work.A good School principal – can influence the entire staff, all the students in the school by her good deeds , her intentions and her leadership skills.
A good Politician – can spread the Domino effect of his goodness, by twisting the bureaucracy to work with only intention of serving the country, instill civic sense, patriotism and sense of pride in citizens.
Also A good mother – can instill good values in her children, she can be their first school and help them be better individuals, A good wife and daughter in law can hold the family together and help to do away the negatives, the differences in the family and bring happiness to everyone.
Thus, in spite of the prevalent feeling of Human nature being poor, brutish and selfish in this competitive world- with negatives like theft, terrorism, exploitation and running behind material pursuits, it can be seen that examples of goodness of people,keep on reminding us the positives of human nature and it keeps on spreading in all directions and influencing lives over and over again.
Best Answer: AkS