Day 42 – Q 4.Do you think the coalition governments in India’s post independence history remained an epitome of a dysfunctional system? Substantiate your viewpoint.
4. Do you think the coalition governments in India’s post independence history remained an epitome of a dysfunctional system? Substantiate your viewpoint.
क्या आपको लगता है कि भारत के स्वतंत्रता इतिहास में गठबंधन सरकारों ने एक निष्क्रिय प्रणाली का प्रतीक बन कर रह गयी? अपने दृष्टिकोण की पुष्टि करें।
Coalition governments in India emerged after the Nehruvian era in 1967, when Congress alone was not able to fetch the required majority in Lok Sabha. It started as an exception to form a government in the absence of majority but has now taken the form of a rule where it has become a mandatory condition to garner support of regional parties.
These governments faced various challenges like:
- Political Instability: Very short tenure of governments at the Centre from 1995-1999.
- Wastage of resources: To appease coalition partners, extra ministerial posts and departments are created, which leads to wastage of resources and duplication of efforts.
- Lack of co-ordination: Regional parties are often concerned with their own interests rather than the entire nation’s leading to conflict in decision making and policy paralysis.
Despite several shortcomings, coalitions have central positive aspects like
- Representation of minority voices: Regional parties can voice their concerns and the respective issues get national attention, e.g. Tamil issue raised by DMK at the Centre.
- Prevention of monopolistic behavior: Various parties in coalition act as checks and balances for each other thus preventing monopoly of a single party.
- Ensures balanced regional development: Areas from where regional parties belong get proper attention.
- Democratic decision-making: Views of all partners are considered before taking any major decision.
Coalitions have become a necessary evil in case of India due to their representation to varied interests in diverse Indian society. However, certain checks, like introduction of Tenth schedule, are required to ensure smooth functioning of government machinery.
Best Answer: Gargantuan