Day 47 – Q 3.How can India ensure that its relations with the US and Iran, and particularly its energy interests are not affected? Suggest.
3. How can India ensure that its relations with the US and Iran, and particularly its energy interests are not affected? Suggest.
भारत कैसे सुनिश्चित कर सकता है कि अमेरिका और ईरान के साथ इसके संबंध, और विशेष रूप से इसके ऊर्जा हित प्रभावित नहीं हों? सुझाव दें।
- Introduction- Why in news?
- India’s energy security versus Iran and US
- Way forward
In news: Recently US imposed unilateral sanctions on Iran after the former decided to move out of the Iran nuclear deal. This has put at risk India’s energy interests at risk.
India’s energy security versus Iran and US:
- India imports 85% of oil and 42% of natural gas from Iran. Iran is India’s third biggest
- India’s ongoing project- Chabahar port in Iran is an important one as it gives route to resources rich Afghanistan and the INSTC corridor along with projects like TAPI and IPI.
- A 2+2 dialogue can be initiated where India can raise its concerns. Mediation is required between India and Iran.
- The OPEC countries and those standing by Iran after US withdrawal should come together to see the sanctions imposed by US is dealt against strictly.
- Diversifying India’s import basket- Options of importing shale gas from US and oil from Southeast Asian countries (Vietnam etc) should be explored.
- Buidling strategic oil reserves to be used in times of emergency.
- The ongoing renewable energy projects- especially national solar mission should be undertaken on serious footnote.
India needs to strive for a multi-polar world. Leveraging soft as well as hard power to gain support of other countries, diversifying energy sources, building strategic reserves and focusing on other energy sources like renewable energy together will go a long way in securing India’s energy interests.
Best answer: John Nash