5. What is the Ashgabat agreement. Why is to important for India? Discuss.
अशगबत समझौता क्या है। भारत के लिए यह महत्वपूर्ण क्यों है? चर्चा करें।
Ashgabat Agreement which was instituted in 2011, is a multi-modal transport agreement which envisages facilitation of transit and transportation of goods between Central Asia and the Persian Gulf.
Significance for India:
- Chabahar port: Joining the agreement, opens up for enlarging operational and practical scope of Chabahar port.
- Gate way to Central Asia: It will serve as a shortest route and vital route to Central Asia.
- Afghanistan: It will help connect India with Afghanistan and also improve trade relations.
- Pakistan: Reduce dependency of Pakistan for Both India and Afghanistan for transit and trade permits.
- Eurasian region: Will facilitate trade and commerce with Eurasian region.
- INSTC: It will further facilitate India’s effort to implement INSTC.
- Energy Security: Will help ease India’s energy requirement needs. It connects India with mineral rich regions of Central Asia.
- Civil unrest region.
- US sanctions on Iran.
- China’s Belt and Road passing through region.
- Terrorism prone area.
- Trade relations are very low at the moment.
- Growing Protectionist tendency across western world.
Note: 1-2 lines explanation are required for all points. Both parts should be balanced
Resource rich region of Central Asia is also looking forward to increase its trade ties with India. This is a very good opportunity for India also to ease its dependency on Middle East region for its energy security needs.
Best Answer: John Nash.