2. Suggest a suitable strategy to address the problem of militancy in Jammu and Kashmir.
जम्मू और कश्मीर में आतंकवाद की समस्या का समाधान करने के लिए एक उपयुक्त रणनीति का सुझाव दें।
Jammu and Kashmir is considered one of the most resource rich, yet one of the most vulnerable states to violence and also one state which is the most sensitive compared to any other states in the country. The increased militancy in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, especially in the Kashmir valley is due to a combination of many factors which have increased antipathy of the people against the government and increasing the feeling of alienation. A comprehensive strategy is required to mainstream the people of J&K on the lines of others in the country.
Reasons for militancy in Jammu and Kashmir can be categorized as follows-
- Absence of strong democratic political leadership.
- Development of the state stifled due to the frequent skirmishes between India and Pakistan.
- Jammu and Kashmir facing the brunt of resource course.
- Gaps in Infrastructural development in terms of education, employment, health care facilities, roads etc
- Political patronage from Pakistan.
- Frequent surfacing of separatist movements.
- A sense of alienation among the population of J&K and a binding spirit.
- Quality of life being suffered due to policy paralysis.
- Accusation of the army of being hard on the citizens due to application of AFSPA.
Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India, the development and quality of life indicators can’t be allowed to fall any further, there is an urgent need to integrate people of Jammu and Kashmir into the mainstream by devising a suitable strategy for inclusive development of Jammu and Kashmir eradicating the factors keeping it behind in the developmental ladder and eradicating the feeling of alienation-
- Political level
- More political will is needed from the government of Pakistan to stop militancy in the valley.
- Indian government needs to have the will to channelize the efforts of the youth in J&K.
- It is needed that J&K does not become a theatre for regional politics with India, Pakistan and China showcasing their power.
- It is needed that a bold debate is started on Article 370 and Article 35A and thus, reducing the feeling of alienation.
- Economic level
- Projects for economic development in J&K should be fastracked.
- Measures should be taken to tackle unemployment, promoting small scale industries of the state, promoting tourism and increasing the per capita income.
- The economic development of J&K should be at par with the other major states of the country.
- Cultural level
- Citizens of the state should be promoted for cultural exchanges with citizens of different states.
- Schemes like “Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat” should be promoted.
- The outlook citizens of other states with respect to the citizens of J&K should be changed.
- The feeling of alienation and deprivation should be tackled with priority.
- Various awareness programs should be launched to promote the citizens of J&K with the mainstream.
- Army level
- The army should understand that AFSPA is only to deal with the extreme situations.
- The sensitivity of the army with respect to the citizens of J&K should be increased.
- Any intention or act to misuse the AFSPA for personal benefit or to showcase power should be strongly dealt with.
- Social level
- The measures to curb the freedom of expression should be stopped.
- The antipathy of the citizens should be dealt with measures of good governance and tackling the problems at the grassroots rather than suppressing them further.
- Security level
- Increasing the vigilance at the borders to counter infiltration and promote counter terrorism measures.
- Strengthening the intelligence network across the state.
- Ensuring that the citizens of the states do not face the brunt of being citizens of a border state and live life like citizens of any other state.
On the lines of these measures of solution, the government of India has come up with various schemes specially designed for J&K – like UDAAN, Nai Manzil for skill development of the youth of Jammu and Kashmir- more such schemes must be introduced and propagated to get the maximum benefit and integrate people to the maximum.
Therefore, the problem with respect to J&K is a sensitive problem- the emotions of the people should always be taken into account. Force and Violence will only increase the levels of antipathy. Hence, a combined approach is needed with intensive integration programs, with strong political will, the use of civil society, proper diagnosis and applying the right solution at the right time.
BEST ANSWER: Gargantuan