Day 59 – Q 1.Examine the security challenges posed by illegal migration into India. Can the ongoing exercise of NRC address it? Critically examine.
1. Examine the security challenges posed by illegal migration into India. Can the ongoing exercise of NRC address it? Critically examine.
भारत में अवैध प्रवासन द्वारा उत्पन्न सुरक्षा चुनौतियों की जांच करें। क्या एनआरसी का चल रहा अभ्यास इसे संबोधित कर सकता है? समालोचनात्मक जांच करें।
- Briefly mention what is NRC and its background
- In the body try to mention NRC
- Give suggestions how it can be addressed
Illegal immigration is the illegal entry of a person or a group of persons across a country’s border, in a way that violates the immigration laws of the destination country, with the intention to remain in the country.
The National Register of Citizens (NRC) contains names of Indian. The NRC was prepared in 1951, after the Census of 1951 it was prepared by recording particulars of all the persons enumerated during that Census. The NRC will include names of person or their descendants whose name appear in NRC 1951 or any of the Electoral Rolls up to the midnight of 24th March 1971. Recent result of leaving out 40 lakh applicants from the final draft of the NRC in Assam has raised a furore.
Genesis of NRC in Assam:
Assam has long resented the influx of Bangladeshi Muslims, citing pressure on its limited land and resources. To weed out migrants, the Assam Accord was signed in 1985, which says anyone who entered the state after 1971 would be considered an illegal resident.
Assam Agitation (1979-1985): It was a reactionary movement, led by All Assam Student Union (AASU), who was instigated by various cultural, political & economic threats like loss of jobs in favour of the immigrants.
After six years, a memorandum of settlement called Assam Accord was signed between Union Government and AASU.
Issues arising out of migration:
- Illegal migration threatens Assamese citizens to become minorities in their own homelands.
- Population explosion happens which puts a strain on resources.
- Wages of labour become low.
- There are cases of civilian violence and terrorism arising due to illegal Bangladeshi immigrants.
Is it going to address the internal security issue?
It can solve the problem, as It will help in identification between illegal migrants and Indian Citizen/Indigenous people which might make it easier to deport them the illegal migrants.
NRC is one of the methods but not the only method or it will not suffice for everything to curb the illegal migration, there are some other methods which can be used to curb the illegal migration.
However it is not that easy as it sounds due to various issues:
- Bangladesh not willing to recognize them as their own citizens.
- Humanitarian and Legal issues.
- Local political support due to vote bank.
(Add 2-3 points for each argument)
Methods to curb the illegal migration in India:
- Better border management should be done. Construction of fences close to the zero line with Bangladesh should be completed as early as possible.
- Strong surveillance system should be installed with modern and upgraded technological equipment.
- Well-built boundary to stop infiltration of the people from the border.
- Strengthen domestic laws to manage the foreign criminals effectively.
- The construction of the joint check posts, along with other infrastructure, should be encouraged.
- Meaningfully engage with neighbouring nations and solicit its cooperation in resolving all outstanding issues so as to better manage the mutual border.
These illegal migrants are now spread in several states and distant places such as Rajasthan, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, and Maharashtra and so on. Thus it is high time to solve the problems of illegal migration to save Assamese people in their own land and to save the nation from the threat of illegal migrants, which is a major issue of internal security.
Best Answer: mahishmati