Day 59 – Q 3.Imagine a scenario in which there is an intel that few terrorists might be trying to cross the maritime boundary of India to bring some chemical weapons into India. In this scenario, which security agencies will be active and what role would they play? Discuss.
3. Imagine a scenario in which there is an intel that few terrorists might be trying to cross the maritime boundary of India to bring some chemical weapons into India. In this scenario, which security agencies will be active and what role would they play? Discuss.
एक ऐसे परिदृश्य की कल्पना करें जिसमें एक इंटेल है कि कुछ आतंकवादी भारत में कुछ रासायनिक हथियार लाने के लिए भारत की समुद्री सीमा पार करने की कोशिश कर रहे हैं। इस परिदृश्य में, कौन सी सुरक्षा एजेंसियां सक्रिय होंगी और वे क्या भूमिका निभाएंगे? चर्चा करें।
India being a peninsular country is blessed with a long coastline of 7516 km. Maritime boundary of a country will consist of territorial sea, contiguous zone, exclusive economic zone, open sea etc. Although India’s coastline has always been a blessing for India, yet it has also been a easy penetration corridor for terrorists, like during the 26/11 attacks on Taj Hotel in Mumbai. Hence, it becomes pivotal for India to effectively guard its waters for effective National Security.
The multiple challenges associated with coastal security are-
- The coastal borders are not demarcated properly.
- The problem of cross border infiltration.
- The issue related to illegal migration.
- The issue related to smuggling and other kinds of criminal activity
- Use of Sea and off shore islands for criminal activities
India has established various agencies at various levels to protect its maritime boundaries. So a scenario in which there is an Intel that few terrorists might be trying to cross the maritime boundary of India to bring some chemical weapons into India, they would come across the following agencies-
- The Indian Navy
- It is entrusted with the overall responsibility of maritime security, including coastal security and maritime security.
- It also carries out anti-piracy operations.
- Indian Navy also carries out, multiple Naval Exercises with navies of different countries.
- It acts like a Net security provider to many nations in the Indian Ocean Region.
- The State Marine Police
- It is responsible for patrolling the inner layer of the coastline, but mostly its mandate is only in the territorial waters.
- It is generally responsible for coordinating with customs, CISF etc
- Indian Coast Guard
- The Indian Coast Guard is a multi-mission organization, conducting round-the-year real-life operations at sea. Despite being relatively small, it has a wide range of task capabilities for both surface and air operations.
- Marine Commando Force: It is the anti-terrorism force of the Indian Navy.
However, even if these agencies carry out different operations-right from surveillance measures, detecting the presence of chemical weapons, having advance warfare systems to neutralize the incoming enemy targets, providing well trained manpower for counter terrorist activities etc; but there will still be certain issues with respect to this like-
- The main issue is generally related to lack of intra departmental coordination.
- Lack of resources with the forces.
- The financial assistance being restricted.
- The issue related to right to access different parts of the oceans.
Therefore, various steps are taken in order to strengthen the all-time Maritime Security of India. Technological process, like the launch of NAVIC satellite are further enhanced the coastal security. Hence, a strict vigil with grit, determination and also leaving fulfilling all the pre requisite required for the coastal security is pivotal for India’s security.
BEST ANSWER: DIWAKAR