Day 20 – Q 1.Differentiate between the terms ‘impartiality’ and ‘non-partisanship’. Also examine their significance for public servants.
1. Differentiate between the terms ‘impartiality’ and ‘non-partisanship’. Also examine their significance for public servants.
‘निष्पक्षता’ और ‘गैर-भेदभाव’ शर्तों के बीच अंतर करें। सार्वजनिक कर्मचारियों के लिए उनके महत्व की जांच करें।
Impartiality is treating everyone equal. Non-partisanship is not being biased towards any particular ideology or political group.
Impartiality and Non-partisanship both form essential foundational values for civil services. While impartiality ensures equality without any bias and prejudices in the general, non-partisanship ensures a neutral approach in politics and a solid commitment to the government.
These attributes are necessary for a civil servant:
- Impartiality – With control of resources at one’s dispensation, a Civil servant need to be impartial to plural group identities – religion, caste, creed, gender, social standing etc. They ought to be weighed equally much in light of “Right to Equality” enshrined in our Constitution.
- Non-partisanship – A civil servant should be apolitical as it’s the bureaucracy which is the permanent executive. The government in power, irrespective of political party, must be provided the bureaucratic services in same spirit without any biasness and functioning of government stays effective.
- These values become more so important where laws or guidelines are absent or not defined clearly.
An impartial and non-partisan public service makes responsible, democratic government work by-
- Ensuring objective and evidence-based advice.
- Providing the information that ministers need to fulfil their accountability role to parliament and the public.
- Delivering services in an effective manner.
- Managing resources and programs effectively.
- Ensuring a legal and constitutional transition when democratic processes result in new administrations.
- Ensuring that once professional advice is given, there is a competent and able execution of those decisions which are lawfully made.
However, it’s a bitter truth that non-partisanship and impartiality is seldom achieved in public service. In a diverse country like ours it is important that civil servants uphold these values and become a true democratic interface.
Best answer: dazy rani