Day 5 – Q 4.What is environmental ethics. Is it possible for a common man to adhere to its principles? Examine.
4. What is environmental ethics. Is it possible for a common man to adhere to its principles? Examine.
पर्यावरण नैतिकता क्या है। क्या एक आम आदमी के द्वारा इन सिद्धांतों का पालन करना संभव है? जांच करें।
Environmental Ethics is the applied branch of ethics. It incorporates environmental concerns in ethical behavior. It extends the realm of ethics from purely anthropocentric view to a more comprehensive view comprising of holistic care of the nature.
It is important that the responsibility of using the ethical behavior is not just at the level of the government. It does not remain in theory but common people as well shoulder the responsibility towards the environment.
Environmental Ethics believes that humans are a part of the society as well as other living creatures, which includes different plants, animals. With the changing dynamics of the world, with increasing brunt of the environmental hazards on the humans, it becomes very important for the humans to pay heed to the Environment and deal ethically with the issues of the environment.
However, in the neoliberal society a delinking has been seen between the Environment and humans. Humans have potentially abused and degraded the environment due to the following reasons-
- For developmental activities like –construction of roads, building of factories, For building large dams, expanding area of human habitation.
- For basic needs- such as food, clothing and shelter
- To make the economy sustain, to compete better with the world by exploring the national resources of the particular country.
It is imperative the common people are in sync with the efforts at the global and at the level of Central and state government and contribute to the preservation of the environment, for the following reasons-
- Increasing levels of Pollution.
- Degrading Standard of Life.
- Increasing dangers related to global warming and climate change.
- New dynamic issues like Environmental Refugees.
Though, it is of utmost importance and it is considered to be the need of the hour, it may not be possible for a common man to comply & adhere to the principles of Environmental Ethics due to the following issues-
- Poor people have no other option than burning fossil fuel for cooking, as it is vital for their survival.
- Most of the poor people are dependent on the forest resources for their survival like wood, food etc.
- Still many tribes are dependent on hunting and gathering, that is their only mode of survival.
- Natural Resources of the environment are the only sources of income for the people who otherwise don’t have enough employable skills.
Thus, it is imperative that education about Environmental Ethics is spread to the common people. They are made to understand the importance of the Environment, the degrading nature of the environment and the effect of the same on the humans . Also, it is important to balance with the essentials of the ones who are most vulnerable.
Best answer: Aaditya