5. What should be a ‘good end’ for a politician? Comment.
एक राजनेता के लिए ‘अच्छा उद्द्देश्य’ क्या होना चाहिए? टिप्पणी करें।
The word Politician is used to refer to person who is engaged in the practices of politics i.e. activities concerned with the general affairs of the community. The ultimate aim of politician
can be no different than that of politics i.e. promotion of the common good. For realizing this end a politician is expected to achieve many objects, some political others not.
- Firstly, the politician must strive to establish a just state – the principal instrument of public welfare in modern times. In a democracy this requires both, practicing a healthy electoral politics and formulation of effective policies ensuring liberty and opportunity to every member of the community.
- Secondly, the politician must propagate Fair Economics – the chief source of material wellbeing of the community. This would entail securing distributive justice so that everyone get what they deserve.
- Thirdly, he/she must strive for a Egalitarian Society and ensure that everyone has equal opportunity to pursue self-development irrespective of his religious, caste or gender identity. He must promote spirit of reconciliation and secure restorative justice those who had been historically wronged.
- Also, he/she should promote ideals of Ethics and Morality in the community through deliberations, policy as well as by setting example himself. This is crucial as the affairs of a society may involve conflicting versions of right and wrong.
5.He/she must try to become “Philosopher king” that Plato said was essential for good governance. He must develop high administrative skill and attitude of public service like Pt Jawaharlal Nehru.
- He/she must do ‘politics with principle’ as preached by Gandhiji. Vote bank politics and winning election based not false promise must not be done. If political parties talks about ‘gender equality’ then they must also support women reservation bill in the parliament.
- He/she must inculcate professional values of integrity and probity for socio-economic development of nation. eg – Lal Bahadur Shastri taking moral responsibility, as railway minister after a rail accident.
- He/she must try to bring spirit of constitution in politics. He/she must make constitutional goals of justice, equality and liberty as goal of politics and political parties.
- He/she must follow the Indian ethos of “Vasudev Kutumbakam” and principles of “Sarvodaya through Antyodaya” to make politics not only efficient but also humane
Politicians are guardian and guide of development of a nation. They themselves must be guided by above “good ends” to play this role. To conclude the ultimate end of a politician is to enable every individual to realize a good life without affecting the capacity of others to do so.
Best answer: Juhi Tomar