Day 53 – Q 1. What are the current strategies to deal with the problem of naxalism? How effective have they been? Examine.
1. What are the current strategies to deal with the problem of naxalism? How effective have they been? Examine.
नक्सलवाद की समस्या से निपटने के लिए वर्तमान रणनीतियां क्या हैं? वो कितने प्रभावी रहे हैं? जांच करें।
Naxalism can be traced backed to its origin in Naxalbari village of West Bengal state. It started as a movement to voice its concerns by landless labourers and tribals and gradually has become an internal security threat to the country.
Strategies to deal with Naxalism:
- Left Wing Extremism (LWE) Division- It was created in the Home Ministry to effectively address the Left Wing Extremist insurgency in a holistic manner. It implements security related schemes aimed at capacity building in the LWE affected States.
- Security Related Expenditure (SRE) scheme- Formulated for the purpose of reimbursement of security-related expenditure like transportation, communication, the hiring of vehicles, stipend to surrendered Maoists, construction of infrastructure for forces etc.
- Media Plan- The Maoists have been misguiding and luring the innocent tribals/ local population in LWE affected areas by their So-called poor-friendly revolution through petty incentives or by following their coercive strategy. To deal with their false propaganda, activities like Tribal Youth Exchange programmes organised by NYKS, radio jingles, documentaries, pamphlets etc. are being conducted
- Aspirational District- The Ministry of Home Affairs has been monitoring Aspirational districts programme in 35 LWE affected districts
- Modernisation and upgradation of the State Police and their Intelligence apparatus and fortification of Police stations
- Ensuring rights and entitlements of local communities
- Improvement in governance and public perception management
- Better equipment of CRPF
- Setting up of Counter Insurgency and Anti Terrorism (CIAT) schools
- Assistance in training of State Police through the Ministry of Defence, the Central Police Organisations and the Bureau of Police Research and Development
- Facilitating inter-State coordination
- Assistance in community policing and civic action programmes
Effectiveness of the above mentioned strategies:
- Reduced geographical extent- Most of the left-wing extremism has been restricted to just 30 worst-hit districts.
- Increased attacks- There has been an increase in attacks but decrease in area of influence.
- Militarization- There has been greater militarization of the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) in areas within the Red Corridor.
- Lost leadership- Paramilitary and police actions have resulted in the death of senior leaders
- Tribal-Maoists disconnect- Welfare measures, even if they have been implemented haphazardly, have enabled outreach into tribal areas where the state was hitherto absent. These actions have forced the Maoists to retreat further into the forest areas of central and south-central India
- Changing characteristics of naxalism- Alignment with organized crime, international links, impoverished weapons, support from urban intelligentsia etc.
The government’s strategy of using military force along with allocation of funds for infrastructure and welfare programmes, is bearing fruits. Need is of further consolidation of actions and speedy implementation of welfare schemes.
Best answer: Shri