2. What is CERT-In? How does it function? Discuss.
CERT-In क्या है? यह कैसे कार्य करता है? चर्चा करें।
CERT-In is an acronym for ‘Indian Computer Emergency Response Team’. As per Information Technology Amendment Act 2008, CERT-In is the National Incident Response Centre for major computer security incidents in its constituency i.e. Indian cyber community. CERT-In’s primary role is to raise security awareness among Indian cyber community and to provide technical assistance and advise them to help them recover from computer security incidents. It functions under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
Objectives of CERT-In
- Preventing cyber-attacks against the country’s cyber space.
- Responding to cyber-attacks and minimizing damage and recovery time.
- Reducing ‘national vulnerability to cyber-attacks.
- Enhancing security awareness among common citizens.
The Information Technology (Amendment) Act 2008 designated CERT-In to serve as the national agency to perform the following functions in the area of cyber security
- Reports- It serves as a central point for reporting incidents
- Repository- It is the national repository for cyber intrusions, as it maintains a database of incidents.
- Analyze- Analysis of trends and patterns of intruder activity, developing preventive strategies for the whole constituency and taking an in-depth look at an incident report or an incident activity to determine the scope, priority and threat of the incident are few of the major functions of the body.
- Response- It sends out recommendations for recovery from, and containment of damage caused by the incidents and help the System Administrators take follow up action to prevent recurrence of similar incidents.
- Advise- Provides technical advice to System Administrators and users to respond to computer security incidents.
- Assist and co-ordinate- It works with other similar institutions & organisations to resolve major security issues, and disseminates information to the Indian cyber community.
- Awareness- It enlightens its constituents about the security awareness and best practices for various systems; networks by publishing advisories, guidelines and other technical documents.
CERT-In thus helps strengthen security related defense of Indian internet domain, while also responding to the cyber threats.
Best answer: Dazy Rani