Day 63 – Q 3. off late it has been seen that juveniles are involved in many heinous crimes but are getting away without any harsh punishment due to their age. Do you think the age of juveniles should be reduced to 16 from 18? If not, what measures should be taken to reform the youth?
3. off late it has been seen that juveniles are involved in many heinous crimes but are getting away without any harsh punishment due to their age. Do you think the age of juveniles should be reduced to 16 from 18? If not, what measures should be taken to reform the youth?
Recently the central government passed an act to treat juveniles in age of 16-18 involved in heinous crimes to be tried as adults. This is was done as off late juveniles in that age group are involved in many heinous crimes but get off without any harsh punishments.
The age of juveniles should be reduced because:
- Maturity: Youths are getting maturity at an earlier age now than previous generation and are aware of consequences.
- Deterrence: Reducing age will act as deterrence for future.
- High crime: Majority of them are involved in heinous crimes and commit the gravest of offences with no remorse.
- No fear: Also they are aware about the law being loose on them makes them do it without any fear of getting punished.
They should not be:
- Awareness: Many child rights activists point out that they lack maturity and awareness about the degree of crime being committed.
- Used: It is also cited that several juveniles are used by handlers and they are not aware of the consequences.
- Hardened criminals: It might make them hardened criminals in future if they are not given a chance to reform.
- Moral education.
- Interaction with counsellors.
- Noticing the change in their behaviour at school level or college level and keeping a track of their activities.
- Parents involvement in their everyday life.
- Encouraging joint family system: Majority of the juveniles feel left out due to nuclear family and non-availability of emotional support and love during tender age which drags them towards crime.
- Restriction on contents in print and social media: Crime related content and sexual contents should be filters.
Provide an apt conclusion.
Best answer: Iron man.