Day 17 – Q 5.Describe the significance of ethical conduct in one’s private life.
5. Describe the significance of ethical conduct in one’s private life.
किसी के निजी जीवन में नैतिक आचरण के महत्व का वर्णन करें।
Ethics is our set of principles for living and acting. It guides us in creating the world in which we wish to live.
Being fair, honest and ethical is one of the basic human needs. Primarily it is the individual, the consumer, the employee or the human social unit of the society who benefits from ethics. In addition, ethical conduct is important because of the following:
- Make own and others live better: Ethics affect everyday life. By being ethical and moral, we enrich our lives and the lives of those around us. When we help make society better, we are rewarded with also making better own lives and the lives of our families and friends. Without ethical and moral conduct, society would be a miserable place.
- Creating Credibility: Someone who has ethical conduct will secure a better position in society, as that person will be trusted more. An Individual who is believed to be driven by ethical and moral values is respected in the society even by those who may have not known him/her.
- Personal and Professional Success: Where ethics are taken seriously, and people strive to make ethical decisions and actions, personal and professional success follow.
- Better decision making: Decisions are driven by values. Practising and making an effort to make ethical and moral decisions throughout life will pay dividends when we are faced with serious moral dilemmas. Consciously or unconsciously, we use ethics with every decision.
- Lessen stress. When we make immoral decisions, we tend to feel uncomfortable and concerned about our decision making. Making the right ethical decision, or taking a principled perspective on an issue, reduces stress.
- A better understanding of Life: Ethical values also help people develop a sense of truth and the meaning of life. Without any idea or understanding of what is right versus wrong people have no direction in life and feel they are free to do as they please. Ethics give this sense of truth and positively affect one’s behaviour.
- Better leadership: What seems so minimal on a personal level can actually affect the entire society. Personal ethics produce good leadership, which help create better societies.
- Long Term Gains: Individuals guided by ethics and values are successful in the long run, though in the short run they may seem to lose.
Ethics tries to create a sense of right and wrong in individual and society and often when the law fails, it is the ethics that may stop one from harming the society or environment.