Day 18 – Q 5.Who is your favourite figure from the field of administration? What are his/ her virtues that appeal you the most?
5. Who is your favourite figure from the field of administration? What are his/ her virtues that appeal you the most?
प्रशासन के क्षेत्र से आपका पसंदीदा व्यक्ति कौन है? उसके कौन से गुण आपको सबसे अधिक आकर्षित करते हैं?
We have amazing, brave, dedicated administrators of India who have made us all extremely proud and done extraordinary work for the country. Among them, my personal favourite is Mr Prashant Nair, who was District Magistrate of Kozhikode district. He is also known as “Collector Bro”.
Prasanth Nair is an IAS (Indian Administrative Service) officer. He is well known for his experimental initiatives for poverty eradication and city administration like “Compassionate Kozhikode” and “Operation Suleimani” in Kozhikode district. He isn’t always the conventional IAS officer who sits in his cushiony office chair, drowning in files and folders. He connects with people using social media platforms.
His extraordinary efforts and remarkable virtues inspire us. Some of his appealing virtues are listed below:
- Courteous: He is polite, respectful and considerate in manner. He directly connects with people in a humble and modest way. Sometimes he responds to his young male audience by addressing them as “Bro”. People feel so connected with him that he is being addressed by people as “Collector Bro”.
- Benevolence: His flagship initiative is ‘Operation Suleimani’, aimed at making the city hunger-free. It shows his desire to do good to others and charitableness.
- Transparent: With his Facebook page, it is easy for others to see what actions are performed. He handles the page personally. His proactive presence on social media makes him an extremely transparent collector- just what the public wants. He puts up all sorts of announcements (welfare schemes and other initiatives) on the page.
- Openness: He has an emphasis on transparency and free unrestricted access to knowledge and information as well as collaborative or cooperative management and decision making rather than a central authority. He took suggestions from people for solving traffic issues in Kozhikode.
- Efficient: His efficiency at work is a direct result of his open communication with masses.
- Honest: He is honest and sincere towards his work and prefers to work in his free time. On Facebook, people drop complaints and appreciation texts, and not a single query goes unanswered. He responds to people’s grievance while travelling or while listening to welcome speech in any function.
- Compassionate: He understood a person’s pain to assure people that their problems are his.
- Selflessness: He has little or no concern for himself, especially with regard to fame, position, money.
- Courageous: He took initiatives against the conventions and in spite of criticism from political lobby he kept on doing the good. He doesn’t let the hands of politics suppress him.
Its people like Prasanth Nair that are the hope of this country. We pay our respects to all such amazing officers who inspire us every single day and help us believe that even a few good men can change the course of a nation.