Day 37 – Q 5.A good civil servant knows how to develop networks and maintain healthy relations with his batch-mates. How does this attribute help him in discharging his duties effectively? Examine.
5. A good civil servant knows how to develop networks and maintain healthy relations with his batch-mates. How does this attribute help him in discharging his duties effectively? Examine.
एक अच्छा सिविल सेवक जानता है कि कैसे नेटवर्क विकसित करना है और अपने साथियों के साथ कैसे स्वस्थ संबंध बनाए रखना है। यह विशेषता उसे अपने कर्तव्यों का प्रभावी ढंग से निर्वहन करने में कैसे मदद करती है? जांच करें।
A good civil servant is one who is able to act as per civil service and constitutional values of empathy, compassion, tolerance, dedication, impartiality etc.
Networks in civil service may refer to contacts and communication channels with various stakeholders like colleagues, ministers, NGO’s civil societies, corporates and citizens.
A healthy relation with batch-mates means maintaining good personal and professional relations, however without conflict of interest.
How networks and maintaining healthy relations with batch-mates help a civil servant in discharging his duties effectively –
- Governance involves all stake holders in society. A good Network of a civil servant will help in bringing all stakeholders together and hence solve the problems of society. For instance ‘Operation Sulaimani’ initiated by Prashant Nair, brought together NGO’s and chain of hotels to serve the poor and hungry in the state.
- In any disaster like situation, for example Uttarakhand flood of 2013, there is need of interstate and inter-district coordination. In such a scenario, networks and healthy relations with batch-mates and colleagues will help in effective disaster management.
- In intelligence services networks and healthy relations are most valuable resources. Ajit Doval and other officers have successfully handled many insurgencies due to their networks.
- At international level network of Indian Foreign Service officers will help in giving out Indian point of view on various issues like Kashmir, UNSC, climate change, refugee crisis etc. Also in emergency like situation, evacuation of Indians can be done swiftly – eg: Operation Raahat in Yemen.
However, it is extremely important that networks and relations are developed for discharging one’s duties and public servant. They must not result into cronyism, politico-bureaucratic-corporate nexus, nepotism or corruption of any form. A good civil servant must work with objectivity and impartiality, keeping public good as the highest priority.
Human component cannot be removed from the process of governance. Hence networks and maintaining healthy relations with batch-mates is important to develop human resource and social capital for effective governance.