4. Discuss the distinguished contribution of Vikram Sarabhai in the field of science.
विज्ञान के क्षेत्र में विक्रम साराभाई के विशिष्ट योगदान पर चर्चा करें।
Dr. Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai is a renowned Indian physicist. Dr. Sarabhai’s contributions in space research gave him recognition as the Father of the Indian space program. He was the innovator and creator of a number of institutions in the varied fields including but not limited to space, nuclear energy, arts, education, and management. He was honored with Padma Bhushan in 1966 and the Padma Vibhushan in 1972.
His important contribution includes –
- Initiation of space research and development of nuclear power in India. He convinced the Government of India to form the Indian National Committee for Space Research (INCOSPAR) in 1962 and was the first chairperson of the committee. INCOSPAR was later renamed as Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in 1969. He played an advisory role in the new setup.
- Vikram Sarabhai founded the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad on November 11, 1947. He was only 28 at that time.
- He was also Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission.
- He played a major role in the creation of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- Some of the other most well-known institutions established by Dr. Sarabhai are:
- Community Science Centre, Ahmedabad
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram
- Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad
- Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR), Kalpakkam
- Varaiable Energy Cyclotron Project, Calcutta
- Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Hyderabad
- Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL), Jaduguda, Bihar
- As a result of Dr. Sarabhai’s dialogue with NASA in 1966, the Satellite Instructional Television Experiment (SITE) was launched.
- Dr. Sarabhai started a project for the fabrication and launch of an Indian Satellite. As a result, the first Indian satellite, Aryabhata, was put in orbit in 1975 from a Russian Cosmodrome.
We can say that the contributions made by Dr. Vikram Sarabhai are extraordinary in the field of space science. His dedication and hard work can’t be forgettable and so, to pay homage to the father of India’s Space program, ISRO has announced an award in the name of Vikram Sarabhai on his 100th birthday on 12 August, 2019.