Day 76 – Q 1.Do you think all countries in the world should open their borders to refugees? Critically comment.
1. Do you think all countries in the world should open their borders to refugees? Critically comment.
क्या आपको लगता है कि दुनिया के सभी देशों को शरणार्थियों के लिए अपनी सीमाएं खोल देनी चाहिए? समालोचनात्मक टिप्पणी करें।
A refugee is a displaced person who has been forced to cross national boundaries and who cannot return home safely. The have immense physical, emotional and psychological suffering.
All countries in the world should open their borders to refugees
- Justice – Rohingyas are being forces to leave their own homeland by real or perceived dangers. The perpetrators are not punished.
- Rights – The natural rights as human beings and constitutional rights as citizens are being violated.
- Mirrors our value as a civilization – The values of inclusivity, tolerance, empathy and compassion, the democratic values of the host nation.
- International empathy – Concerns by other nations, help by International NGO’s and effectiveness of International body like U.N.
- Common good – Peace and prosperity in the South Asian region.
All countries in the world should not open their borders to refugees
- National interest and national security is the highest goal of governance. Refugee may precipitate socio-economic crisis.
- National resource may not be sufficient to host large number of refugees.
- National and cultural identity will be threatened.
The issue must be dealt with compassion. We can take lessons from the message inscribed on the statue of liberty which reflects the successful assimilation of refugees in USA helping it become a great nation.
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
More efforts can be put in skill development of refugees so that they can contribute to their new home as is being done by the government of Germany.