Day 92 – Q 3. What are the data security concerns related to social media platforms? What measures can be taken to address those? Suggest.
3.What are the data security concerns related to social media platforms? What measures can be taken to address those? Suggest.
सोशल मीडिया प्लेटफॉर्म से संबंधित डेटा सुरक्षा चिंताएँ क्या हैं? उनको संबोधित करने के लिए क्या उपाय किए जा सकते हैं? सुझाव दें।
Data security means protecting digital data, such as those in database, from destructive forces and from the unwanted actions of unauthorized users, such as a cyberattack or a data breach.
Cyber security is an important arena of internet when the country is moving forward towards a cashless society and digitization. Till 2013, India did not even have a cyber security policy in place. It is of paramount concern to take cyber security seriously in India with most of the transactions going online and cashless.
Data security concerns related to social media platform
- Cyber Security becomes a challenge as now privacy is a fundamental right as per SC verdict and the rise in cybercrimes can lead to violation of private space and liberty of expression.
- The Indian government has embarked on a programme to turn the country into a digital economy. It has unveiled a series of initiatives—from introducing Aadhaar, MyGov, Government e-Market, DigiLocker, Bharat Net, Startup India, Skill India and Smart Cities to propel India towards technological competence and transformation.
- Photos, videos and other personal information shared by an individual on social networking sites can be inappropriately used by others, leading to serious and even life-threatening incidents.
- A cyber attack may lead to loss of competitive information such as patents or original work, loss of employees/customers private data resulting into complete loss of public trust on the integrity of an organization.
- A local, state or central government maintains huge amount of confidential data related to country (geographical, military strategic assets etc.) and citizens. Unauthorized access to the data can lead to serious threats on a country.
Measures that can be taken to address Data security concerns
- Real-time intelligence is required for preventing and containing cyber attacks.
- Periodical ‘Backup of Data’ is a solution to ransomware
- Using Artificial Intelligence (AI) for predicting and accurately identifying attacks.
- Using the knowledge gained from actual attacks that have already taken place in building effective and pragmatic defence.
- Increased awareness about cyber threats for which digital literacy is required first.
- India needs to secure its computing environment and IoT with current tools, patches, updates and best known methods in a timely manner.
- The need of the hour for Indian government is to develop core skills in cyber security, data integrity and data security fields while also setting stringent cyber security standards to protect banks and financial institution