Day 4 – Q 1. What kind of plant and animal life can survive in the polar climates? What special adaptations must this life make to the harsh conditions of this region? Discuss.
1. What kind of plant and animal life can survive in the polar climates? What special adaptations must this life make to the harsh conditions of this region? Discuss.
1. किस प्रकार के पौधे और पशु ध्रुवीय मौसम में जीवित रह सकते हैं? इस क्षेत्र की कठोर परिस्थितियों में इस जीवन को किस विशिष्ट अनुकूलन की जरुरत होती है? चर्चा करें।
- Introduction: Give 1-2 introduction about polar climate and the region where they are present.
- Body: Two parts are required here. First part, mention the flora and fauna and second part mention the adaptation which they have undergone to survive in those extreme climate.
- Conclusion: 1-2 lines conclusion is must.
Polar climates are characterized by temperature lower than the freezing point, negligible insolation, scarce precipitation and strong winds. It is these extreme conditions that make survival of flora and fauna challenging in these areas.
Plants: In wetter and sunnier areas, tundra vegetation with the dominance of willows and birch is found. Lichens and mosses replace tundra vegetation towards the extremes.
Animals: Large animals like polar bears, wolves, foxes and reindeers are found here. Among invertebrates, mites, ticks, flies and mosquitoes are found. Coastal birds as well as marine mammals are also a feature of the Polar Regions.
- Trees grow close to the ground or in coniferous shape to shed snow easily.
- Plants hold onto dead leaves for insolation.
- Some plants use deep snow like a blanket to protect against cold.
- Shallow root system due to availability of a thin layer of soil that thaws each year.
- Small leaves to minimize the amount of water lost through transpiration.
- Perennial species that grow only during summer.
- Thick layer of fur and fat for insolation.
- Large and webbed feet to walk in snow.
- Slow walking to avoid heat exhaustion.
- Ability to close nostrils while under water.
- White color that camouflage in the snow to protect against predators.
Adaption has enabled for survival of flora and fauna in such extreme climatic conditions. Polar climates are present in both Arctic and Antarctic regions but due to isolation from rest of the land, Antarctic region has far less number of species than Arctic.
Best Answer: Maximus