Day 16 – Q 5.Should politically active candidates be debarred from being appointed as Governors? Critically examine.
5. Should politically active candidates be debarred from being appointed as Governors? Critically examine.
क्या राजनीतिक रूप से सक्रिय उम्मीदवारों को गवर्नर के रूप में नियुक्त होने से वंचित कर दिया जाना चाहिए? समालोचनात्मक जांच करें।
Governor of a state holds a constitutional position, who is the head of federal government under whose name the state is governed. He elected by the president of India and holds the office under his pleasure.
Due to different governments at center and states at times, there arises controversies about should a politically active candidate be debarred from being appoint as governor.
Politically active candidates should be avoided because:
- Conflict with COM: Governors belong to opposition parties usually than the ruling party, so every bill passed or orders passed will take time to get approval.
- Provide able governance: Without approval from governor no scheme or bill can be passed this will delay the chances of quick implementation of promises by ruling/winning party.
- Against Mandate: Sometimes governors might not pass a bill or delay which is against the mandate provided to elected government.
- Discretionary powers: Since governor has discretionary powers, he might use it to curtail the functions of elected government.
- Reserve the bill to president: At times, to delay implementation of certain programs or schemes which might affect the return of his party to power in state.
- Centralist attitude: Since he is appointed and removed by Central government, he will act according to the central government’s satisfaction.
- Self-interest: Being a politically active person he might try to score self-goals and enhance his image for future by downgrading elected representative’s roles.
Politically active candidates can be appointed:
- Democratic principles: Every office should be open to all without any discrimination. This is a fundamental right provided by constitution.
- Debate and discussion: It will enhance the culture of debate and discussion and make way for better implementation in case there are any drawbacks.
- Long term effects: Elected government might try to see short term goals to win upcoming election by implementing those schemes which might affect in long run.
- Unity and integrity: Safe guard unity and integrity of country by avoiding those programs and schemes which might arouse ultra-regional sentiments.
- Democratic government: In case of dictatorial government or ruling party crushing opposition voice, governor can take steps.
Governor position has to be absolutely neutral. Human beings are political animals and they have their personal orientation whether active or inactive. So it is better for any person after assuming the role of governor, he/she should act within the powers as provided by the constitution.