Day 17 – Q 4.Comment upon the status of the social security in India. Has it been able to meet the expectations of a developing socio-economy? Critically examine in view of the recent initiatives taken by the government.
4. Comment upon the status of the social security in India. Has it been able to meet the expectations of a developing socio-economy? Critically examine in view of the recent initiatives taken by the government.
भारत में सामाजिक सुरक्षा की स्थिति पर टिप्पणी करें। क्या यह विकासशील सामाजिक-अर्थव्यवस्था की अपेक्षाओं को पूरा करने में सक्षम हैं? सरकार द्वारा हालिया पहलों को ध्यान में रखते हुए समालोचनात्मक जांच करें।
Social security refers to assistance provided by state to those people who have inadequate or no income to meet their needs. It may be in form of Cash or in kind of Medical assistance, Aid, Insurance facility etc.
Status of Social security in India:
- Coverage: Due to huge population and inadequate maintenance of proper data, the percentage of population covered under any form of social security is very low. Ex: Insurance penetration and Density.
- Awareness: Majority of people lack awareness about existence of such kind of facilities by government. Ex: MSP.
- Unorganized sector: Majority of work force is in unorganized sector which is not covered by any such schemes or programs.
- Leakages: There are huge scams and leakages in the social security funds made available from government. Ex: Fodder scam.
- Loopholes: There is lack of proper rules and in case of existing laws, they are filled with loopholes which makes it inefficient. Ex: Minimum number of employees, contract laborers not covered.
- Implementation: Certain states have money transfer facility where BPL families incurring huge medical expenses are reimbursed but implementation is very poor.
Some of the programs have been a huge success:
- Food security: PDS system has ensured food security of population, Green revolution has ensured buffer stock and also made us food surplus country.
- Pension: Monthly pension facility to government employees and formal sector. Also schemes like PF, Gratuity etc.
Recent initiatives taken by government:
- National Pension scheme.
- Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandhana Yojana.
- Ayushman Bharat.
- Direct benefit transfer.
- National nutritional Mission.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana.
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana.
Note: The above schemes need 1-2 lines explanation. Also include how they are performing. That will cover the second part of answer.
India had joint family set up before, which would take care of social security needs. Now with emergence of Urbanization, Nuclear family, Migration etc. it is needed. Though provisions are provided by constitution under DPSP, we do not have universal social security system like western countries. It is high time we introduce one on such lines.
No Best Answer.