Day 27 – Q 5.What factors prompted the United States to enter the the first World War? What were the consequences of the United States entering the war? Discuss.
5. What factors prompted the United States to enter the the first World War? What were the consequences of the United States entering the war? Discuss.
संयुक्त राज्य अमेरिका को पहले विश्व युद्ध में प्रवेश करने के लिए किन कारकों ने प्रेरित किया? संयुक्त राज्य अमेरिका के युद्ध में प्रवेश करने के नतीजे क्या थे? चर्चा करें।
United States had remained neutral during the initial years, though it did support the allied powers in kind. The initial pledge of Neutrality by Woodrow Wilson came to an end and United States entered World War 1 on the side of the allies in 1917.
Causes of the entry of USA into WW1:
Economic Interests: The government of USA and businessmen had provided huge loans to British and French governments to help in their war efforts, defeat of allied powers would have meant huge losses to America.
Atrocities in Belgium: Germany’s invasion of Belgium and subsequent atrocities on the citizens of neutral state had led to strong anti-German feeling in America.
Sinking of the Lusitania: British passenger ship Lusitania was sunk by German U-boat, which had many American citizens, this stained the relations between USA and Germany.
Resumption of submarine attacks: Germany had agreed not to attack civilian ships post the sinking of Lusitania, but it resumed the attacks soon after which finally compelled the USA to enter the war to support Allied powers.
Zimmermann Telegram: In 1917, German Foreign Minister Arthur Zimmermann sent a telegram to Mexico suggesting that if the US should declare war on Germany, Mexico should declare war on the US. In return, Mexico would get back the territory lost in the Mexican-American War. This telegram was intercepted and made public. This led to USA’s entry into the WW1.
Consequences of United States entering the war:
- Entry of American troops was the greatest physical and morale booster for the tired and exhausted armies of the Allied powers.
- America helped in the Second battle of Marne and defeated Germany marking the end of final attempt at victory.
- The experience of American army helped in formation of innovative strategies against Central Power.
- Rise of US as a world power – With European powers struggling with death, destruction and debt; US rose as the new superpower.
- It resulted in treaty of Versailles, which further led to the resentment in the Germany on the one side and Russia and Italy on the other side as they were not given the importance they deserve aftermath of WWI.
The entry of United States into the WW1 was probably the most significant event of 20th century which had far reaching repercussions throughout the world. It led to the emergence of United States as the new power centre and of a new world order.
Best Answer: vipasha parul