Day 16 – Q 5.Illustrate the contribution of Election Commission in strengthening democracy in India.
5. Illustrate the contribution of Election Commission in strengthening democracy in India.
भारत में लोकतंत्र को मजबूत बनाने में चुनाव आयोग के योगदान को चित्रित करें।
- This is a direct question, where you have write about Election Commission’s contribution to strengthen the democracy in India.
- Write introduction in accordance with the question, with mention of Election Commission and democracy.
- In body of the answer, since “illustrate” is given, give examples and evidences to show that Election Commission played its role perfectly in strengthening the democracy.
- In illustrate, critical part is not necessary. Directly conclude the answer on a positive note.
- There are four bulwarks of Indian democracy; one of them is Election Commission.
- Election commission is a constitutional body empowered to conduct free and fair elections under Article 324 of the Indian constitution.
- Elections are fundamental to democracy. In the long journey of seven decades, election commission of India never failed to serve its purpose of facilitating the democracy in the best possible way.
- In first elections of independent India, election commission successfully handled the mostly illiterate but enthusiastic citizens of India.
- It also survived the free and fair elections immediately after the end of Emergency in 1970s.
- Election commission of India is empowered to cancel the elections or call for re-elections if any kind corruption or malpractices are found; this is the most powerful tool in the hands of election commission to make democracy possible in letter and spirit.
- To further improve the transparency in elections, election commission of India introduced Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) in 1999.
- In 2010, election commission of India accepted the recommendations of Indiresan committee to introduce Voter-verified paper audit trail (VVPAT) for further transparency.
- In the same line, the Election Commission of India is currently considering the use of Totaliser Machines during elections to mask booth-wise voting patterns.
- Internet major Google and social media giants Twitter and Facebook have assured the Election Commission that they will not allow their platforms to be used for anything which effects the purity of polls during campaign period. It is another laudable effort of Election Commission of India to strengthen democracy.
- The last 48 hours before the elections come to a close is called ‘silence period’ so that voter can calmly decide on as to whom to vote.
- Google, facebook, etc. also assured the EC that political advertisements will be flagged, including the amount spent, so that expenditure can also be accounted for during campaign period.
- Similarly, some other efforts taken by Election Commission of India to strengthen the democracy by elections in India are, Model Code of Conduct, awareness campaigns, national voters (day 25 Jan), electoral bonds, cVIGIL app etc.
All the above examples and steps taken by the election commission of India a sufficient to prove that Election Commission of India plays the vital role in strengthening the democracy in India, verily, India is the largest democracy of the world.
Best Answer: Ravi Kishore Boddu