Day 17 – Q 1. Consumer welfare and protection assume special significance in the era of information explosion. Comment. Also, examine the protective measures available.
1. Consumer welfare and protection assume special significance in the era of information explosion. Comment. Also, examine the protective measures available.
सूचना विस्फोट के युग में उपभोक्ता कल्याण और संरक्षण का विशेष महत्व है। टिप्पणी करें। इसके अलावा, उपलब्ध सुरक्षा उपायों की जांच करें।
Increased mobile penetration, digitization, affordable and accessible data services have brought more number of people under digital net at the same time exposing them to information overflow.
Excess of anything is likely to have negative effects and same is the impact of information explosion on consumers today.
- In today’s Hyper connected world, consumers are highly accessible via mails, mobile and social media.
- They are flooded with information through social media, television and smartphones.
- Despite more number of people coming under digital net, digital and financial literacy still remains low.
- This makes them susceptible to number of things like advertisements that target consumers modifying their behaviour and choices; one that mislead people with false information; data theft and privacy issue; unfair trade practices.
- There is also growth of E-commerce industry leading to new way of buying things.
- In such scenario, it is necessary to protect consumers and promote their welfare through effective laws and regulations with adequate grievance redressal mechanisms.
Various protective measures available:
- The Consumer Protection Act, 1986 for better protection of the interests of consumers. It provides for the establishment of consumer councils and other authorities for the settlement of consumers disputes.
- Real Estate Regulatory Authority(RERA) to protect the interest of homebuyers.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 lays down standards for food articles to ensure safe food for consumers.
- National body Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) help consumers receive ISI certified products.
- Campaigns such as Jaago Grahak Jaago have been launched by the Government of India to raise the awareness among consumers.
With Consumer protection bill 2018 government aims to further strengthen consumer rights with various new provisions like product liability; unfair contracts; and setting up of a regulatory body. Draft E-commerce policy and draft data protection bill are also positive steps in this direction.
Best answer: Navdeep kumar