Day 17 – Q 3. What are quasi-judicial bodies? Why are they important? Explain with the help of suitable examples.
3. What are quasi-judicial bodies? Why are they important? Explain with the help of suitable examples.
अर्ध-न्यायिक निकाय क्या हैं? वे क्यों महत्वपूर्ण हैं? उपयुक्त उदाहरणों की मदद से समझाओ।
A quasi-judicial body is an organisation or individual on which powers resembling to that of court of law of judge have been conferred in order to adjudicate and decide upon the situation and impose penalty upon the guilty or regulate the conduct of individual or entity.
Importance of quasi-Judicial Bodies:
1) Expert Knowledge and Qualified staff
2) Responsibility for sensitive decisions
3) Flexibility since there is little use made of precedent
4) Reduce the workload of judiciary and government departments
Criticism of Quasi-Judicial bodies
1) Ordinary judiciary is still overburdened as party that loses case more often than not approach the higher judiciary.
Examples of quasi-judicial bodies
1) National Green Tribunal: Has been established under NGT act 2010 for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environment protection and conservation of forests
Important cases of NGT:
1 Banning of Diesel Vehicles in Kerala & Delhi In May 2016, the Kochi circuit bench of NGT banned all diesel vehicles more than 10 years old from operating in 6 cities of Kerala.
2) Art of Living Foundation casing fined Art of living foundation for damage to Yamuna flood plains
NGT is counted among India’s relatively few institutions that hold the public trust.
2) National Human Rights Commission:
Has been established under the act of parliament in 1993 for effective readdressed of Human rights issue
Important achievements of NHRC
1) Have demanded accountability in case of custodial deaths and have demanded reports within 48 hrs from police station
2) Have worked to improve conditions of children and women
3) Advised state government in case of malnutrition death
NHRC major achievement has been it has been able to initiate dialogue about human rights issue.
The quasi-judicial bodies are necessary to reduce the burden of courts and provide specialised judgements. The need of hour is to provide them more powers for them to carry out function effectively.
Best Answer: Neha Kumari