Day 19 – Q 4. Illustrate the contributions of Aadhar in promoting digital governance in India.
4. Illustrate the contributions of Aadhar in promoting digital governance in India.
भारत में डिजिटल शासन को बढ़ावा देने में आधार के योगदान को चित्रित करें।
Aadhar is a 12-digit unique identification number that provides digital identity to the residents of India and ensure authentication. Under the Aadhar Act, 2016, The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is responsible for the management of entire Aadhar lifecycle. The number uses demographic and biometric information of a person for enrolment and has become a strategic policy tool for people-centric governance.
Contribution of Aadhar in promoting digital governance:
- JAM Trinity- Jan Dhan-Aadhar-Mobile Trinity has been instrumental in linking crores of bank accounts with aadhar and helped in financial inclusion.
- Direct Benefit Transfers- Aadhar Payment Bridge has been successful in disbursing monetary transfers directly to the bank account of beneficiary. IT has been used for programs like MGNREGA, LPG subsidy, food and fertilizer subsidies etc.
- Government eMarketplace- Linkage through Aadhar has helped in transparent online procurements in government.
- Digital Locker- Enabled through Aadhar, it helps in storing personal documents on government’s server, thus removing the requirement of producing hard copy for every service.
- Monthly Pension- Linkage with Aadhar has helped remove fraud beneficiaries and allowed the needy to avail the benefit.
- Jeevan Praman- Aadhar linked digital life certificates helps the pensioners to avail pension benefits without being physically present.
- Proof of identity- Aadhar is accepted as a valid proof in opening bank accounts, investing in stock market, claiming provident fund etc., thus citizens need not go through the hassle of providing multiple identity proofs.
- Linkage with financial instruments- Aadhar linkage with PAN, bank accounts, mutual funds etc. helps in curbing black money by bringing transparency in the system.
- Voter card linkage- It prevents bogus voters, thus ensuring fair elections.
- Aadhar Enabled Biometric Attendance System- Helps in bringing efficiency in the government.
Despite the huge contribution, several issues like right to privacy, denial of service and misuse of data do exist. However, being a matured society we should take measures to mitigate those risks and not abandon the technology as such.
Best answer: Sreelakshmy