Day 21 – Q.4. What are donor associations and charities? What roles do they play? Discuss.
4. What are donor associations and charities? What roles do they play? Discuss.
दाता संघ क्या हैं? वे क्या भूमिका निभाते हैं? चर्चा करें।
A charitable organization or charity is a non-profit organization (NPO) whose primary objectives are philanthropy and social well-being (e.g. charitable, educational, religious, or other activities serving the public interest or common good).
Role of Charities
- Charities provide essential services that positively impact the lives of citizens, such as building hospitals, schools, orphanages.
- Are a vital partner to the government in many aspects, including personal empowerment and training, fighting poverty, combating social diseases such as drug abuse, and attempting to narrow the deep divide between the rich and poor.
- Charitable and volunteer work is also the safety valve and supporting pillar for a country’s security due to the preventive roles it plays, especially in fighting extremism, radicalism and criminal acts against humanity.
Challenges with respect to Charities
- Some charities may not adhere to the goals of promoting social and economic benefits and may engage in wrongful activities.
- Incidence of bad management and financial and administrative corruption in some charities. This has caused many to question the credibility of charitable work and its management.
- The western media have exposed this corruption where leaders of certain charities siphon off 80 percent of the contributions received from donors.
Suggestion to make charities more transparent
1) Charities must view their donors and volunteers as a company views its stockholders. Ethical codes, professionalism, and corporate governance should govern charitable activities.
2) Charitable work should fulfil its obligation within the framework of transparency, compliance with society, the economy, and government.
3) Inform the government of the sectors initiatives.
Charities in India have been successful in bringing reforms in wide ranging sectors .It is necessary that they become more accountable and government provide them right environment to carry their activities .
Best Answer: Ankur