Day 22 – Q.3. Corruption in the medical field is a sad reality. Elaborate upon the factors that have caused corrupt practices to thrive in this noble field.
3. Corruption in the medical field is a sad reality. Elaborate upon the factors that have caused corrupt practices to thrive in this noble field.
चिकित्सा क्षेत्र में भ्रष्टाचार एक दुखद वास्तविकता है। इस क्षेत्र में भ्रष्ट प्रथाओं को बढ़ने के कारणों के बारे में बताएं।
Medical field is considered as noble field because it deals with the life of individual. Doctors are considered as Gods in India. UN agencies considered medical profession and practise as most corrupt in the world.
The types of correction in medical field are as follows
- Bribes and kickbacks.
- Theft and embezzlement.
- Intentional damage to public goods for private gain1.
- Informal payments.
- Use of human subjects for financial gain.
- Institutionalised potential corruption eg selling of seats
Factors that have caused corruption in India are as follows
- Corruption at apex level i.e. medical council of India
- Political patronage and ownership of medical colleges
- Unholy nexus between professionals and pharma lobbies.
- Lack of awareness among people due to poor socio-economic census.
- Lack of ethical standards in doctors eg detection of foetus sex, organ mafia at hospital
- Lack of good facilities hospital adds to the corruption.
Recent steps taken by government in this regard are
- Fair recruitment process through NEET.
- MCI has been replaced with NMC
- Active vigilance in medical field against unholy nexus
- Health insurance (ayushman Bharat) and Pradhan Mantri Jan aushadhi Kendra (health facility at decentralised level)
- Access to generic medicine through Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushdhi Pariyojna.
- Zero tolerance for corrupt practises by government and ways to curb it
- Protection of whistle-blower should be robust
- Education in medical ethics should be mandatory.
- The ombudsman should be equipped with adequate infrastructure and resources.
In India 70% of expenditure is borne by consumers and if corruption persists debt will reach to a high level so doctors should try their best to keep this noble profession corruption free. It needs the synchronisation of doctor, government, media and all section of society.
Best answer: Dazy Rani