Day 37 – Q 3. Under what circumstances was the Quit India movement launched? What were its impacts?
3. Under what circumstances was the Quit India movement launched? What were its impacts?
भारत छोड़ो आंदोलन किन परिस्थितियों में शुरू किया गया था? इसके प्रभाव क्या थे?
Quit India movement was mass based freedom struggle movement. It has been variously describes as the “People’s Movement” and “Leaderless movement”.
Circumstances for the launch of the movement:
- Failure of Cripps mission: Cripps mission was sent from Britain to negotiate with Indian leaders to support Britain in WW-2. Indian National congress has declared Purna Swaraj as final goal in Lahore session in 1928 and was not ready to concede on this. While British government was promising only dominion that too after war.
- Escalation of Prices and food shortage: WW-2 has increase demand of goods which lead to escalation of prices. Food and other good were supplied to soldiers from India and common people have bear it repercussion in form of high prices. Public was more ready for mass based movement than our leaders.
- Advancement of Japan: Japan was advancing toward India after subjugating South East Asia. Indian saw it as opportunities to over-throw the British.
- The British saw the threat it posed and arrested all the major national leaders before the dawn of the day, the whole movement was carried out by the masses without the leaders.
Impact of the movement:
- QIM demoralized British government to rule India. People participated without any guides and attacked the symbols of British authority. In many places self-rule local governments were established. This pressurized British government to accept demands of congress. So, the British lifted Ban on Congress and National leaders were released from prison.
- Paved the way for constitutional proposal of the Cabinet Mission. Latter Constituent assembly was organized on the Mission’s recommendations.
- Relent on INA Trails: The British were in favor to punish every participant on treason charges but due to QIM has forced the British to be relent on trial.
Write a brief conclusion
Best answer: Dazy Rani