Day 43 – Q 4. Innovations in the field of infotech and biotech hold the potential to transform the agricultural landscape. Comment.
4. Innovations in the field of infotech and biotech hold the potential to transform the agricultural landscape. Comment.
इन्फोटेक और बायोटेक के क्षेत्र में नवाचार कृषि परिदृश्य को बदलने की क्षमता रखते हैं। टिप्पणी करें।
Agriculture employs almost half of the population but cannot guarantee a sustainable livelihood. Technological innovations in information and biology can help alter the above scenario and transform the agricultural landscape.
Potential of Infotech:
- Artificial Intelligence- Use of automated agricultural vehicles will maximize their efficiency and capacity.
- Automated equipment- automatic watering and irrigation systems, precision agriculture etc. can help ease the way of practicing agriculture and reduce the labour input for the same.
- Blockchain technology- Blockchain can be used for agricultural trading and selling, decentralized transactions and self-executing smart contracts as well as for resource management, like tracking machinery maintenance records or for tracking other sensors and equipment.
- Cloud based solutions- help companies remotely monitor farms, interact with farmers and make every crop transparent and traceable. It also aids farmers in adopting global agricultural practices and improves productivity by offering productivity insights and harvest forecasts.
- IT based network integrators- These technological platforms offer a range of services to farmers in rural areas including financial, agricultural inputs and government assistance.
- Mobile technology- Apps like Trringo have brought revolution in farm equipment renting process in India.
- Virtual aggregators- Farmers can use the mobile platform for aggregation, and then leverage the volume to negotiate better prices with suppliers.
Potential of Biotech:
- Genetic editing- Engineering crops that require less water and that grow more food, and use of CRISPR/CAS9 to change a cow’s gut microbes to try and reduce the amount of methane they are producing as well as how large they get are few examples of gene modification.
- High yielding crops- Use of biotechnology can result in high yielding varieties of crops thus improving crop productivity.
- Tissue Culture- It is the science of cultivating animal/ plant tissue in a prepared medium. Technologies based on this can be harnessed to achieve crop improvement objectives.
- Biofertilisers- micro-organisms and minute plants which can absorb gaseous nitrogen and phosphorous directly from the atmosphere and make it available to the plants can be identified, multiplied in the laboratories and introduced into the root zone of crop plants to supply nitrogen and phosphorous.
- Improved value- Biotechnology can help enhance flavor and nutritional value of the crop while also increasing its shelf life.
Write a brief conclusion
Best answer: Gargi gupta