Day 45 – Q 4. In an age of rapid technological advancements, the role of bureaucracy must be reinvented. Comment.
4. In an age of rapid technological advancements, the role of bureaucracy must be reinvented. Comment.
तकनीकी प्रगति के युग में, नौकरशाही की भूमिका नवीनीकरण अत्यंत महत्वपूर्ण है। टिप्पणी करें।
Bureaucracy or the Civil Service constitutes the permanent and professional part of the executive organ of government. It is responsible for implementation of policies and serves as a link between the government and the people. However, due to rapid technological advancements, its role is undergoing transformation.
Changes in role of bureaucracy:
- Service provider to service enabler- Due to digital technologies it has become a facilitator of services ensuring their hassle free operation.
- Recordkeeping to database management- From keeping big logs of paperwork, it has shifted to maintain online database.
- Increased scrutiny in administration- Advent of social media and a hyper active media have increased scrutiny in bureaucratic functioning.
- Changed public relations- Direct benefits, use of social media platforms like twitter are connecting government and public directly, minimizing the role of bureaucracy in this sphere.
- Online administration- Online grievance redressal, financial benefits to bank, public advisory over internet etc. have modified the way administration used to run.
- Cybercrimes- Increased incidence of cybercrimes has made it a necessity for bureaucracy to be vigilant.
Ways to reinvent the role of bureaucracy:
- Technical knowhow- Technical trainings need to be imparted to help bureaucrats deal with the existing tech challenges.
- Active social presence- Instead of being unapproachable to public, civil servants should try to address concerns and build public opinion about issues through social media.
Despite the requirement of changed role, there are certain crucial aspects that still require a traditional bureaucracy:
- Human element cannot be replaced by technology; the latter can only enhance it.
- Digital illiteracy prevents new bureaucratic role to reach entire population.
Write a brief conclusion
Best answer: Krishnakant