Day 58 – Q 4. What strategies can be adopted to address home grown terrorist outfits in India? Suggest.
4. What strategies can be adopted to address home grown terrorist outfits in India? Suggest.
भारत में आतंरिक आतंकी संगठनों को संबोधित करने के लिए क्या रणनीति अपनाई जा सकती है? सुझाव दें।
Domestic terrorism or home-grown terrorism is terrorism in which perpetrator targets his own country and countrymen.
Being multi-religious, multi-ethnic and pluralistic society, India remains prone to both international and domestic terrorism. Various home grown terror outfits have exploited fragmented identities to spread violence. United National Liberation Front (UNLF), United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA), Indian Mujahuddein (IM) and Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) are few of the home grown terror outfits in India.
Strategies to address home grown terror outfits
- Concerted efforts to address the root cause of alienation which affects communities or sections of the society. This is done by addressing genuine concerns and through education and awareness campaigns that dispel false propaganda.
- Intelligence agencies shall keep track of radicalisation attempts by over-ground workers and recruitment agents to stop this process at its inception. Keep check on international support (funds, arms) to these outfits.
- Legislation of laws for speedy conviction of terrorists and ban such outfits. Example: Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
- International co-operation to facilitate follow up on suspects and cases in progress. This will help to deal with insurgency groups known to take shelter in neighbouring countries.
- Check on social media platforms.
- Strengthening internal security agencies like Police forces.
- Community patrolling.
Above mentioned are few of the measures but the best defence would be to ensure that the people do not have the incentive to pick up arms against the country by providing them equitable political, social and economic opportunities.
Best answer: SID