Day 67 – Q 3. Even though India has Parliamentary form of Government, elections are fought in a style of Presidential form due to hero worship. Analyse.
3. Even though India has Parliamentary form of Government, elections are fought in a style of Presidential form due to hero worship. Analyse.
India opted for parliamentary form of government based on Westminster model where executive is directly responsible to legislature where as in presidential system election is more about national leader elected on the basis of his/her charisma with limited accountability.
Elections in India are being fought in a style of presidential form due to hero worship where Charisma matters more than manifestos or ideologies of parties.
Reasons for rise of such style:
- Rise of Charismatic leaders.
- Illiteracy among voters leading to getting attracted by National leader than adjudging the suitability of their own constituency candidates in a rational manner.
- Dynastic politics also has a role to play where people associate more with one ruling family and their PM candidate.
- Lack of inner party democracy also leads to take over by one single popular leader.
- Role of media in form of paid news can make someone hero in no time.
Issues associated with such tendency:
- Undermining the Parliamentary form of government which is the part of Basic structure of Constitution as declared by Supreme Court in Kesavnanda Bharti Case, 1973.
- Diminishes the role of other members of legislature leading to authoritarian tendencies in leader.
- Strong and unchecked leaders’ influence may lead to eroding the credibility of democratic institutions.
- Main issues gets sidelined in election time, people start to vote on emotive connectivity with leader.
- Local independent candidates however suitable they are find difficulty in competing against candidates for whom National leader campaigns.
- Information, Education and Awareness campaign for the voters by leveraging the technology.
- Implementing Inner party democracy.
There is need to make voters aware about their role in parliamentary democratic setup to choose the right candidate to govern them based on rationality and reason.
Best answer: SID