Day 77 – Q 2. Why is acquisition of land a major impediment in the development process? What steps can be taken to make this process smooth and equitable?
2. Why is acquisition of land a major impediment in the development process? What steps can be taken to make this process smooth and equitable?
Land acquisition is required for most of the nation building projects, however, it is not a simple process and is often the sole impediment in the development.
Impediment in the development process:
- Delays important infrastructure projects and increases their costs making them unsustainable.
- Increasing NPAs in infrastructure sector can be attributed to some extent to the delays in land acquisition.
- Inadequate compensation to the owners, mostly poor farmers exclude them from agriculture as well as prevent them from a decent living standard.
- Using agricultural land for non-agricultural purposes, on one hand creates infrastructure whereas on the other hand serves as an impediment in the food security.
- Poor land acquisition policies in one region can transfer the development to other regions with favorable policies.
Steps to make it smooth and equitable:
- The land to be acquired from the land owners should be acquired either on a long lease or in the form of equity for the proposed business. This option will ensure a steady income for the affected families.
- The role of governments should be restricted to ensuring that adequate provisions are made for the protection of interests of the landless tillers of the land to be acquired.
- In case of outright sale, open bidding through minimum prices acceptable to all landholders.
- Skill development and employment to the displaced population.
Write a brief conclusion.
Best answer: Point_Nemo