Day 78 – Q 1. According to a report, 90% of technical graduates in India are unemployable. What are the reasons behind it? What repercussions does it have on job market in India?
1. According to a report, 90% of technical graduates in India are unemployable. What are the reasons behind it? What repercussions does it have on job market in India?
As per a study by employability assessment company Aspiring Minds created a stir by claiming that 95 per cent of engineers in the country were not fit for software development jobs.
- No detention policy which reduced the quality of education.
- Lack of updation of curriculum.
- Industry academia gap.
- Lack of measures to check the teacher’s updation with changing time.
- Bogus of magazines that publish papers for business gains ( novelty of ideas is lost).
- 80% higher education population is concentrated on under graduation. Lack of measures to take up novel researches at this stage is a missed opportunity.
Repercussions on job market (Negative):-
- Major part of job creation lies at the hand of private industries to employ these technical graduates. Increasing automation and artificial intelligence paints a grim picture on future.
- India was an attractive outsourcing destination. In the era of de globalisation coupled with skill gap situation may get worse.
- Increase in the number of entrepreneurs
- ‘ A crisis is a terrible thing to waste’ – it may give a kick start to industries like apparel, electronics manufacturing, assembling etc.
- Industries may start participating in framing curriculum for the students.
Though the crisis of employability pose both threats and opportunities to capitalize, Speed with which we change the threat to opportunity without wasting the demographic dividend is paramount.
Best answer: Sreelakshmy Vijayan Uma