5. Health is the core of human development. Do you agree? Substantiate.
स्वास्थ्य मानव के विकास का मूल है। क्या आप सहमत हैं? पुष्टी करें।
Human development is defined as the process of enlarging people’s freedoms and opportunities and improving their well-being. It includes income growth, health, education, physical environment and freedom.
Health, however is at the core of human development:
- Economic progress– Healthy people live more, are more productive and save more, resulting in increased investments and thus economic progress.
- Education– Healthy population can be more learned and also look for higher educational opportunities.
- Economic freedom– Due to savings on health expenditure, healthy population has more disposable income, giving them better choices economically.
- Nutrition– A healthy person can absorb nutrition better, which in turn increases his/her productivity in other spheres of life.
- Fertility– Healthier populations tend to achieve optimum fertility rates due to lesser child mortality ratio and higher economic development, for example Scandinavian countries.
- Productivity– A healthy individual can produce better outcomes and is less likely to be absent from work.
- Social benefits– A healthy person can have better access to social services as well as help improving the social capital of a nation.
- Learning and innovation– A healthy body includes a healthy mind and with a sound mental health free from depression, anxiety, stress etc. can the learning outcomes be improved along with excelling in innovation.
Note: You can provide some examples or state some reports to substantiate these above facts in exam.
Due to health being at the core of human development, it is included as a key indicator in calculation of Human Development Index and is placed as Goal 3 in the sustainable development goals.