Day 35 – Q 5.What is internet of things (IoT)? What can be its day to day applications? Discuss.
5. What is internet of things (IoT)? What can be its day to day applications? Discuss.
इंटरनेट ऑफ़ थिंग्स (IoT) क्या है? इसके दैनिक अनुप्रयोग क्या हो सकते हैं? चर्चा करें।
The Internet of things (IoT) is the extension of Internet connectivity into physical devices and everyday objects. Embedded with electronics, Internet connectivity, and other forms of hardware (such as sensors), these devices can communicate and interact with others over the Internet, and they can be remotely monitored and controlled.
Applications of internet of things:
- Smart home: Smart Home has become the revolutionary ladder of success in the residential spaces and it is predicted Smart homes will become as common as smart phones.
- Smart cities: IoT will solve major problems faced by the people living in cities like pollution, traffic congestion and shortage of energy supplies etc. Products like cellular communication enabled Smart Belly trash will send alerts to municipal services when a bin needs to be emptied.
- Agriculture: Farmers are using meaningful insights from the data to yield better return on investment. Sensing for soil moisture and nutrients, controlling water usage for plant growth and determining custom fertilizer are some simple uses of IoT.
- Energy utilization: Smart Grids will also be able to detect sources of power outages more quickly and at individual household levels like nearby solar panel, making possible distributed energy system.
- Healthcare: The collected data will help in personalized analysis of an individual’s health and provide tailor made strategies to combat illness.
- Connected car: It has the responsibility of making decisions with consistency, accuracy, and speed. It also has to be reliable.
- Manufacturing: The IoT intelligent systems enable rapid manufacturing of new products, dynamic response to product demands, and real-time optimization of manufacturing production and supply chain networks, by networking machinery, sensors and control systems together.
- Environmental monitoring: to assist in environmental protection by monitoring air or water quality, atmospheric or soil conditions, and can even include areas like monitoring the movements’ of wildlife and their habitats.
- Supply chain: By placing RFID or NFC tags on individual products, the exact location of single items in a large warehouse can be shared, thus saving search time, streamlining infrastructure, and lowering labour costs.
Disadvantages of internet of things:
- Breach of privacy: Day to day life is monitored and recorded. There is always the possibility of hackers breaking into the system and stealing the data.
- Over-reliance on technology: Relying on technology on a day to day basis, making decisions by the information that it gives up could lead to devastation. No system is robust and fault-free.
- Loss of jobs: Due to swift and precision making work there will be sack of jobs
- Security: As the IoT systems are interconnected and communicate over networks. The system offers little control despite any security measures, and it can be lead the various kinds of network attacks.
- Complexity: The designing, developing, and maintaining and enabling the large technology to IoT system is quite complicated.
- Technology Takes Control of Life: Our lives will be increasingly controlled by technology, and will be dependent on it
Every new technology faces a million challenges in its initial phases. Internet of Things also poses some grave issues that need to be tackled well in order to utilize its fullest potential.