Day 68 – Q 1.How is technology emerging as a critical aspect of governance in India? Illustrate with the help of suitable examples.
1. How is technology emerging as a critical aspect of governance in India? Illustrate with the help of suitable examples.
भारत में शासन के महत्वपूर्ण पहलू के रूप में प्रौद्योगिकी कैसे उभर रही है? उपयुक्त उदाहरणों की सहायता से चित्रण करें।
The basic aspects of any governance which is efficiency, economy and effectiveness is boosted drastically by the use of technology. strong interaction infrastructure, which paves the way for effective operations and a smooth flow of information between government and people thereby strengthening the governance.
Technology in governance:
e-governance as a buzz term defined as the application of information and communication technology (ICT) for providing government services, exchange of information, transactions, integration of previously existing services and information portals. Technology use is emerging several areas of administration like
- e-Administration: to improvise the intra government operations and interaction has plugged the loopholes thereby becoming a critical aspect making the governance efficient. Some of the examples are
- Management information system to synergize the data and communication between different government departments. E.g. NATGRID: connecting databases of core security agencies and make available the intelligence data at a single place for better processing of information.
- computerization of records of land, health etc., E.g. National health stack project, Project Bhoomi and so on.
- e-office Mission mode project including e-file management, management system of circulars acts and so on.
- Projects like Khajane of Karnataka for treasury management, e-panchayat project for effective working of PRI and so on.
- Monitoring of projects and timely update enhancing transparency through projects like Darpan, MPLAD monitoring project etc.,
- e-services: has brought the state closer to the citizens with the concept of services at the doorstep. The ease of availing services being a critical aspect of governance is being facilitated by the emerging technology use. E.g. e-filing of IT returns, online services for certificate applications, e-seva project of Andhra pradesh and so on.
- e-Democracy: The use of IT has been a critical aspect facilitating the ability of all sections of society to participate in the governance of the state. It includes online disclosures of policies, online grievance redressal, e-referendums, e-petitions etc.
- Justice being a critical aspect of governance is being made available to the disadvantaged and less privileged through projects e-courts etc., technology use un judiciary has improved its efficiency and hence helping in speedy justice.
- Service efficiency and grievance redressal: Technology has also curbed the bureaupathologies like red-tapism, nepotism etc., and is bringing transparency and accountability in governance. E.g. Citizen charters, SAKALA project in Karnataka, Pragathi project etc.,
- Development administration: technology is becoming the critical aspect in plugging the governance deficiency. E.g. projects like common service center, village resource center, technology use in schemes like PM Fasal Bhima yojana etc., in rural development.
- Urban governance: technology is playing a critical role in revamp of urban governance and projects collecting critical data like the waste collection, feedback from citizens, e-District project and so on there by improving the efficiency of municipal administration. E.g. under smart city project, Kanpur was able to reduce the crime rate by 70% by using technology like cctv cameras, emergency helpline etc.,
- Disaster management: with the climate change being real and erratic disasters, technology is becoming a critical aspect in all the stages of disaster management including prevention, mitigation, rescue, relief and so on. E.g. Smart-Gov project: of Andhra Pradesh government connecting the different stakeholders like home ministry, NDMA, District administration and so on for cyclone management.
With the 4th industrial revolution setting in, technology use in administration is not only necessary, but is inevitable. Thus, being the mist critical aspect of governance, it is rightly being focused through flagship scheme like Digital India Mission by Government of India and various e-governance projects by state governments.
Note: Make a list of e-governance projects (1/2 for each) for various aspects of governance like police administration, disaster management, District administration, accountability etc., Know them, memorize them and they will help you at least in 2-3 question of paper 2.