Day 68 – Q 4.Test runs and pilot projects are important prerequisites of successful policy implementation. Elucidate.
4. Test runs and pilot projects are important prerequisites of successful policy implementation. Elucidate.
परीक्षण रन और पायलट परियोजनाएं सफल नीति कार्यान्वयन के महत्वपूर्ण पूर्वापेक्षाएँ हैं। स्पष्ट करें।
A pilot is a trial run, a small-scale version of your larger project. A program pilot is an important step that can help you catch potential problems and prevent them from escalating as well as accomplish several goals before full implementation occurs.
Trial run forms part of a committed project and is intended to manage the risk of implementation roll out. It tests the implementation approach and its purpose is to manage the risk of implementation.
Test runs and pilot projects are important prerequisites of successful policy implementation
- A pilot test can serve as a trial run for a program and can help determine if any adjustments to the implementation plan or adaptations to the program are necessary. It can also reveal unforeseen challenges that might arise during implementation.
Certain sites were chosen for Unique Identification Authority of India’s (UIDAI) pilot project to link Aadhaar with payouts under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA). There were many initial glitches successful biometric test for wage payments. Pilot projects gave opportunity of identify and remove those problems.
- Pilot testing is an opportunity to gauge the target population’s reaction to the program. Most importantly, it can help confirm whether or not your program is a good fit for your population and whether minor adaptations to the program are appropriate and/or necessary.
Certain states started pilot projects of oilseed purchases by private players. However procurement of oilseeds may not be commercially viable. The viability must be tested through the pilot projects.
- Pilot testing can help to make better decisions about how to allocate time and resources. Pilot testing your program can help you determine if there is need to spend more time or resources on particular aspects of the program.
The pilot phase or phase I of the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric vehicles in India (FAME India) was launched by the government in 2015, which expires on March 31, 2018. FAME-I was focused more on private vehicles. However, the government is giving priority to public transport in the second phase of incentive scheme.
- Pilot testing can help analyse the suitability of new changes done in the policy for the entire country.
The government has launched a pilot scheme for procuring 2,500 mw of power on competitive basis for three years from generators with commissioned projects but without power purchase agreements. The scheme is aimed reviving power demand.
The demonstrated success of reform in rural water supply and sanitation sector based on demand driven approaches are better tested by pilot project of ‘Swajal project’
- Pilot testing can help ensure that government is well prepared to measure the success of its program.
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao was started from an initial pilot in 100 districts and later was extended to all 640 districts in March 2018. Data released by the Government for the first 161 BBBP districts for the 2015-2017 period showed improving trend in Sex Ratio at Birth in 104 districts. These measurements helped in expanding the scheme all over the country.
Governance is a very challenging task in the present time owing to the need of accelerated development, integration of technology in the process of governance, and maintenance of high efficiency. This calls for planned rolling out of programs and policies through test runs and pilot projects.