Day 94 – Q 1.How is illegal movement of goods and people across the border a security threat? Illustrate with the help of suitable examples.
1. How is illegal movement of goods and people across the border a security threat? Illustrate with the help of suitable examples.
सीमा पार माल और लोगों की अवैध आवाजाही सुरक्षा का खतरा कैसे है? उपयुक्त उदाहरणों की सहायता से चित्रण करें।
Long land boundaries, vast coastline, uneven terrain, close ethnicity of people around border area have often posed a formidable challenge to security forces in border management.
These have led to illegal movement of goods and people across the border, which has brought following threats –
- Drugs trade: Golden Crescent and Golden Triangle at western and eastern borders respectively bring the menace of narcotics in our society.
- Arms and ammunition: Military grade old weapons of Chinese army when reach to insurgent group, makes them heady and dangerous.
- Counterfeit currency: Fake Indian currency notes travelling through pours border raises economic threat.
- Organised crime: Human and organ trafficking at border is also a concern to security forces.
- Anti-India organisation such as ULFA, NSCN etc can easily move out /in of country due to pours border .Hence their movement gets sustained.
- Radicalization: Demography change and radicalization through influx of refugee.
- Funding for Crimes: Rise in illegal money through smuggling of cattle, kerosene, and sugar etc provides fund for other crimes.
- Terrorism: In Mumbai attack of 2008, terrorist got easy entry through coastal border.
- Problem of Fugitive: Criminal get easy refugee in these countries after committing crime inside India
- Influx of refugee: infiltration of refugees such as in case of Rohingyas.
It is imperative to implement Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS). One could take lessons from Israel in this regard. Recommendation of Madukar Gupta committee to strengthen border protection and address vulnerabilities in fencing border would be helpful.