Day 15 – Q 5. How does social influence alter the behaviour of an individual. Illustrate with the help of suitable examples.
5. How does social influence alter the behaviour of an individual. Illustrate with the help of suitable examples.
सामाजिक प्रभाव किसी व्यक्ति के व्यवहार को कैसे बदलता है। उपयुक्त उदाहरणों की मदद से चित्रित करें।
Social influence refers to the way in which individuals change their ideas and actions to meet the demands of a social group. Under social influence individuals agree to common beliefs, values, attitudes and behaviour.
Social influence occurs due to following reasons.
- Human’s fundamental need to belong to a social group – to be accepted.
- Ambiguous situations make one go along with crowd thinking crowd knows more than we do.
- People are more easily influenced by those they like due to contact, similarity, attractiveness and certain qualities people hold.
Sources of social influence:
- Social Media.
- Great Leaders.
- Movies & Celebrities.
1.Swadesh: film related with the problem of electricity in the village, highly inspired from a real life incident when a NRI couple Ravi Kuchimanchi and Aravinda Pillalamarri returning from abroad actually built a power generating unit in a village of Maharashtra. It influenced youth for a good in number of ways
- On the need to take initiatives – “Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress”- Mahatma Gandhiji.
- Values of compassion towards needy.
- Social service: Giving light to neighbour’s House.
2.Dangal: movie had positive social influence of changing people’s attitude towards girl child.
NOTE: You can illustrate social influence on individual behaviour by taking any of the above mentioned sources.
People are likely to be socially influenced in all walks of life. Extent of influence depends on number of factors like strength of one’s value system, age, education and experience that one has gone through life.
Best answer: Shilpi