Day 30 – Q 3. What measures can be taken to strengthen moral and ethical values in governance? Suggest
3. What measures can be taken to strengthen moral and ethical values in governance? Suggest.
शासन में नैतिक मूल्यों को मजबूत करने के लिए क्या उपाय किए जा सकते हैं? सुझाव दें।
Ethical and Moral values form the core of the governance and without them and with even one of them being compromised the very essence of the public service fails and what prevails is the corruption, anarchy and discretion, which is absolutely not acceptable and not good for the democratic society.
Ways to strengthen moral and ethical values in governance:
Though the Government has ensured numerous ways like Central civil service rules 1964, public service delivery bill 2006, RTI 2005 many feel that these are mere paper promises and a lot needs to be done.
The Second Administrative reforms commission has suggested the following methods
- Codification of ethics will ensure the minimum standards that public servants must follow.
- Strong vigilance systems to ensure that corruption is eliminated at the root like whistle blowers act etc.
- Digitization and e-governance is the way forward to ensure citizen centric governance.
- Values such as selflessness, honesty, integrity and objectivity if inculcated at early age through education will lead to Ethical leadership in the future.
- Delegation of work and responsibility in every organisation should be ensured similarly the standard protocols must be codified vide citizen charters.
Public servants need to be fair and impartial; shall work to safeguard the well-being of citizens; take good care of the entrusted administrative tasks; exhibit positive characteristics such as diligence, kindness, patience, and humaneness. Strengthening moral and ethical values in governance is essential to achieve such high moral conduct by public servants.
Best answer: Chiranjeev Bishwas