Day 65 – Q 3. A basic value of journalism is neutrality. With current increase of investigative journalism, do you think media is infringing in the smooth governance and judicial process in India?
3. A basic value of journalism is neutrality. With current increase of investigative journalism, do you think media is infringing in the smooth governance and judicial process in India?
Investigative journalism is the discipline of digging deep and bringing to light verified facts about wrongdoing, or about a matter of significance, which are sought to be covered up or are otherwise inaccessible to the public.
- It bypasses public and judicial institutions, shows the credibility of public institutions in poor light.
- It could be used by warring political factions for gaining advantage. Increasingly politicians are buying/opening media outlets to influence public.
- The exposed are shamed in public without giving a chance to prove their innocence, thus taking on the judicial role in their hands.
- Increased RTI applications, hinders the governance process.
- Sting operations give a lopsided view without deep analysis. Rarely does the media pursue a case in full, which on one hand reduces the credibility of journalism, and on other affect the investigative process. E.g. sting operations are India TV exposing spot fixing by offering bribes to players to catch them fixing a spot or match.
- Privacy of the exposed and sometimes of their relatives and friends is violated.
- The online platforms are doing investigation and trying to uncover the truth. Many a time, rumours take form as news and easily are broadcasted through social media. E.g. Tehalka.com’s operation West End
Aid in governance process:
- Accountability- It helps in holding the public institutions accountable to the public by exposing corruption cases. E.g. Vyapam scam.
- Evidence- Tapes, conversation and evidence obtained could be used in court of law to punish the offenders, like the case of Panama papers, which brought significant financial misdoings in public domain along with due evidence.
- Awareness- It brings awareness on government provisions and procedures available to public to tackle the corrupt.
- Restore faith- It restores faith in the masses that corrupt and criminals cant escape their fate. E.g. Jessica lal murder case and vikas yadav case.
Investigative journalism of quality and relevance is valuable in itself, in what it can do for ordinary folk and for society, typically holding up truth to power. It however, must be supplemented by ethical standards.
Best answer: Iron Man