2. What does social apathy mean? How does it affect the social fabric? Analyse.
सामाजिक उदासीनता का क्या अर्थ है? यह सामाजिक ताने-बाने को कैसे प्रभावित करता है? विश्लेषण करें।
Apathy is a lack of feeling, emotion, interest, or concern about something. Apathy is a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions such as concern, excitement, motivation, or passion. Social apathy is defined as the lack of interest in bringing the changes in the society.
Effect on social fabric:
- Voter turnout is very less in urban areas compared to rural areas. Lack of ignorance in choosing the people’s representative.
- Less voice against the criminalization of the politics.
- Mob lynching is heard in many places because of misconceptions against the person.
- If a person met with the road accident, people start recording the situation than hospitalizing him.
- High tolerance for corruption though it is a malpractice.
- Evading taxes to fulfil their interests, neglecting national interest.
- Parents are being thrown out by their children.
- People are cleaning their houses and dumping the garbage on road.
- Lack of emotions towards animals and their lives.
- Lack of emotional apathy to console the person beside us.
- Lack of behavioural apathy ignoring other person’s emotions and circumstances.
- Lack of apathy towards marginalized section of the society.
Reasons for social apathy:
- Gender discrimination: Women voice is being ignored or makes more controversies, so they are ignorant towards the any issue.
- Delayed process before and after complaint: Unnecessary interrogation by administrative authorities and police.
- Influence of apathy is situation specific: People worry only when it is harming them.
- Vested interests: The influence of seeing apathy depends on a person’s commitment to the goal.
- Apathy as a Defense Mechanism: Apathy serves the main function of lessening future hurt and keeping them detached.
- Comfort zone: People feel comfortable being in safe zone.
- Prejudice: Pre assumption of innocent and guilty before judgment from the authorities
- Devoid of values: Lack of moral values and narrowed mindset to consider their only self-interests.
Social apathy is a syndrome these days comprising of many factors. The need for the hour is to inculcate values, morals, honesty, compassion, patience among people for the welfare of the society. Children should be thought at school levels regarding the social values.