Day 59 – Q 1.Information sharing empowers the citizens and deepens their trust towards the government. Do you agree? Illustrate.
1. Information sharing empowers the citizens and deepens their trust towards the government. Do you agree? Illustrate.
सूचना साझा करना नागरिकों को सशक्त बनाता है और सरकार के प्रति उनके विश्वास को गहरा करता है। क्या आप सहमत हैं? उदाहरण देकर स्पष्ट करना।
Information sharing that was earlier subjected to the government’s discretion was brought to forefront and made an essential tool of our democracy through Right to Information Act (RTI). Other than that present day activism has brought light on the importance of information sharing.
Information sharing empowers the citizens and deepens their trust towards the government in many ways like
- Informed decisions– Information sharing helps in transforming citizens into informed citizens, who are capable of understanding and reflecting upon the public policy and programs and based on that, are able to make informed decisions about the political future of the country.
- Making governments more efficient: The responsibility of the government increases as they have to be accountable to people about their decisions. This brings in the true essence of democracy which enables citizens to more fully participate in public life. The public trust and the credibility of the government will increase.
- Active citizenry– RTI has helped in transforming the people from passive subjects to active citizens who are questioning about the aims, process and funding of the policies and programs.
- Strengthening operations: To strengthen institutions, modernize the public administration and address civil unrest.
- Rights of backward classes– Through information accessed through RTI SCs, STs Etc. are asserting their rights by exposing misappropriation and corruption.
- Assertion of demands– Many of the demands from the socially and economically underprivileged sections are coming after they have received data and information through RTI, thus it has given voice to hitherto voiceless groups.
- Participative citizens– RTI allow any Indian citizen to participate in governance by enabling her or him to seek information about Central and state government activities.
- Fighting corruption: By reducing the secrecy in which decisions are taken and disclosure of the information and thereby transparency increases. This helps in fighting the corruption and its various evil faces. Example: “illegal” selection in jobs, favouritism in government contracts, getting the land meant for a public park back from the civic bodies etc.,
- Formation of a strong civil society – better informed society leads to civil society which keeps checks on arbitrary power of govt.
- Encouraging investment: It eases the business environment. The investors gain more confidence and are willing to invest and expand better
Information sharing can thus help empower citizens, however due caution needs to be exercised so that it does not create a havoc like use of social media to defame or filing fake RTI that drains resources.