Day 38 – Q 3.We live in a world of stereotypes and prejudices. Each individual is driven by perceptions and has a point of view with respect to people, places and ideas. In fact, even the civil servant are no exception. In such a situation, how does the quality of non-partisanship help a civil servant to discharge his/ her duties effectively.
3. We live in a world of stereotypes and prejudices. Each individual is driven by perceptions and has a point of view with respect to people, places and ideas. In fact, even the civil servant are no exception. In such a situation, how does the quality of non-partisanship help a civil servant to discharge his/ her duties effectively.
हम रूढ़ियों और पूर्वाग्रहों की दुनिया में रहते हैं। प्रत्येक व्यक्ति धारणाओं से प्रेरित होता है और लोगों, स्थानों और विचारों के संबंध में दृष्टिकोण रखता है। वास्तव में, यहां तक कि सिविल सेवक भी कोई अपवाद नहीं है। ऐसी स्थिति में, गैर–पक्षपात की गुणवत्ता एक सिविल सेवक को अपने कर्तव्यों का प्रभावी ढंग से निर्वहन करने में कैसे मदद करती है।
Non-partisanship in Civil Service means non-disposition of civil servants towards any political party/entity i.e. to exhibit political neutrality regardless of his/her own political thought. The values of the administrator should flow from the constitution but not from the philosophy of any political party.
Non-partisanship ensures a neutral approach in politics and a solid commitment to the government. Non-partisanship – A civil servant should be apolitical as it’s the bureaucracy which is the permanent executive. The government in power, irrespective of political party, must be provided the bureaucratic services in same spirit without any biasness and functioning of government stays effective.
These values become more so important where laws or guidelines are absent or not defined clearly.
Importance of Non-partisanship Partisanship in Civil Service:
- In democracy, an efficient civil service must have set of values that distinguishes it from other professions. Integrity, dedication to public service, impartiality, political neutrality, anonymity, and non- partisanship are said to be hallmark of an effective civil services. The community has a right to expect the civil service functions fairly, impartially and efficiently.
- Non-partisanship strengthens the democratic procedures and institutions along with maintaining the integrity of the service. The administrators are always at a constant interfere with the politicians, hence it is necessary to aloof themselves from any political ideology and do his duty no matter the party in power.
- It takes decision on merit and is free from any partisan consideration. Further, a non-partisan civil service is also responsible to the Constitution of the land to which they have taken an oath of loyalty.
- Significance of non-partisanship can be appreciated by considering a situation in which this virtue is absent. If the administrator is inclined to any political party, there would always be a group that would remain alienated from the government services as they would have voted for loosing party.
- It strongly attracts other pre requisites of nobel administration like transparency and honesty.
- Non-partitionship helps to maintain trust of people in Administration.
- It helps to maintain healthy relationship between political executives and civil servants.
- It motivates civil servant to provide recommendations/suggestions to policy makers without ill-will or favour.
- Non-partisanship infers that the officer is to do his task without any fear of, or favor to any political party. The values of the administrator will flow from the constitution, not from the philosophy of any political party. Non-partisanship strengthens the democratic procedures and institutions along with maintaining the integrity of the service.
To maintain compatibility and avoid conflicts between the bureaucracy and political leadership, non-partisanship is indispensable.