Day 39 – Q 4.Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation. Comment.
4. Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation. Comment.
करुणा निंदा से ज्यादा पापों को ठीक करेगी। टिप्पणी करें।
Compassion literally means “to suffer together.” Among emotion researchers, it is defined as the feeling that arises when one gets confronted with another’s suffering and feels motivated to relieve that suffering. Hence it is also said to be empathy in action.
Condemnation is the expression of very strong disapproval or censure. It also involves sentencing and punishment.
Curing sins can refer to changing one’s thoughts, beliefs, values and attitude, to bring behaviour in accordance with some ethical standard.
For curing sins compassion can be more effective than condemnation. There are various Psycho-emotional reasons for this –
- Cure requires removal of root cause of doing sins – which can be anger, frustration, and depression among others. Compassion removes these negative emotions and increases level of socialization. This enhances feeling of fraternity and empathy towards others, thus reducing or curing the sins. For example –
- Ungali Maal became disciple of Lord Buddha not due to threat, sentencing or punishment. But due to compassion shown by Buddha towards such a sinner.
- Sins can happen in absence of developed conscience and absence of ethical ecosystem; for instance juvenile crime. However in such cases more love and compassion is required to give opportunity to the sinner to understand the consequence of one’s action and bring change in attitude.
- Compassion gives recognition to the fact that sinner can also become sages. This gives more motivation to the sinner to get bring his behaviour back to the accepted social standard. This allows prisoners, after completing their work, to get involved in social activities. This in real sense cures the sin.
- Restorative justice, which is based on compassion, said to be more successful that retributive justice.
- Sometimes sins happen due to socio-economic conditions. Hence compassion is required to understand the problems and come up with appropriate solutions.
- Crop burning for instance creates environmental hazard in Delhi-NCR region. It can be considered as environmental sin. But however to solve the problem, issues faced by the farmers must be understood and adequate technology and financial help must be given, rather than just fine and penalty.
To use compassion to cure sins there is a need to develop emotional intelligence, values of tolerance and techniques of persuasion in the society.
Gandhiji has said, “Hate the sin, not the sinner”. Hence compassionate approach must be taken while dealing with the sinner to cure the sin.