Day 57 – Q 4.Can technologies that eliminate human intervention in governance completely obviate the need of establishing a value driven administration? Critically examine.
4. Can technologies that eliminate human intervention in governance completely obviate the need of establishing a value driven administration? Critically examine.
क्या शासन में मानवीय हस्तक्षेप को खत्म करने वाली प्रौद्योगिकियां मूल्य संचालित प्रशासन की स्थापना की आवश्यकता को पूरी तरह से समाप्त कर सकती हैं? समालोचनात्मक जांच करें।
Administration is derived from the Greek word, ‘ad-ministrare’ meaning ‘to serve’. So service and values are inherent part of administration, with or without technology.
Technologies that eliminate human intervention in governance
- E-clearance of approvals, permits, loans etc
- E-filing of tax returns
- Geo-tagging of assets and hence e-audits
- Direct benefit transfer for payments, scholarships, insurance claim, subsidy, compensations etc
- FASTag for toll collection
- Insurance claims through satellite imagining
Technologies that eliminate human intervention in governance completely obviate the need of establishing a value driven administration
- Since human intervention is minimal, ethical training, value inculcation etc are not much required in technology intensive areas.
- Values can be subjective too. For instance concept and understanding of gender neutrality and secularism may vary from group to group. Technology can bring more objectivity in administration.
Technologies that eliminate human intervention in governance do not completely obviate the need of establishing a value driven administration
Technology in itself is value neutral. However, to implement technology to fulfil the ideals of the constitution like equality, inclusiveness, justice etc. one technology must be guided with values in administration.
- Recently there were many cases of biometric malfunctioning in NREGA in Jharkhand. Although the use of technology has made payment efficient and simple in NREGA, still compassion is required for timely intervention for payments and elimination of ghost beneficiary.
- In case of Aadhar, ‘Public Data’ has been collected, using technology, in trust with the government. Technology has made the enormous Aadhar project a success. However value is required to maintain the integrity of ‘Public Data’
- Values in administration are required to identify the focus areas like rural distress, MSME sector, environmental degradation etc and intelligently.
- Certain areas like Nudge to Give up subsidy by middle class, in the interest of poor; Behavioral changes under swatch Bharat etc, cannot be handles only through technology.
Governance and administration will lose both its meaning and essence without value. Constitutional values are imperative to attain the goal of making a nation where there will be equality, freedom and justice.